Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

AdvancedEditor not writing Images to GDN_Media

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited May 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi all,

I have to Vanilla Installations to test this. One is under 2.2.1 and one 2.3.1. The installation under 2.3.1 doesn't write a users uploaded images to the GDN_Media table. They still though appear in the comment where it was added. The other installation adds it to GDN_Media.

I can't find a switch or a setting in der the config or anywhere else, that is responsible for this different behaviour.

Is this somehow new in 2.3 or am I just missing some config that is right in front of me but i am to blind too see? Maybe an incorrect file upload? Can someone point me to the file responsible for writing to the GDN_Media?

Thanks for help, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

In plugins/editor/class.editor.plugin.php there is a method called postController_editorUpload_create which handles
    1. saving the file to disk (with the help of the upload class $Upload = new Gdn_Upload();) and
    2. saving file info to GDN_Media (with the media model $Model = new MediaModel();)

The media model only uses the table "Media" and there is no other exotic setting there which would prevent info to be saved to the Media table and save it elsewhere.

If there are pictures which cannot be found in the database, could it be that you are fooled by people using html IMG tags to embed pictures from other places into a discussion/comment and expect to see entries in the Media table where there would be any entry?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The way to know where the image came from, is to inspect the code and look at the img url in question. If it says uploads/imgname.jpg , it came from an upload to your forum database. If it has a url/hotlink from another website, it will not be stored in your database because it is being called from another source.

Advanced editor works perfectly in 2.3+ people who have issues with it are due to jquery from something else interfering.