Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing vanilla 2..3.1on subdomain on shared apache hosting

Hello all,

I successfully installed vanilla 2.3.1 on subdomain on shared apache hosting which runs php 5.6.30 using softaculous. installation was successful. I can access the landing page here community.consumercomplaints.ng/ but I cannot login using admin login details and I can't also access the register page for creating another users. All googled information were not successful. Please help me

Best Answer

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

It is not recommended to use one click installers. Usually they inject code that messes things up. Try to download a fresh copy of 2.3.1 from the repo here and upload the files via ftp to overwrite the old ones.

Also the confg.php is the backdoor into the dashboard and where the settings are kept.

• @vrijvlinder I saw comments on making changes to .htaccess for those using folder like this www.domain.com/forum but mine is subdomain in this format forum.domain.com

How do I edit the .htaccess for mine?

Thanks in advance

edited June 2017

You would only use the slash / Because it's in the root of the subdomain.

If it was forum.domain.com/spacetalk for example , then it would likely need the /spacetalk in the end.

Subdirectories are one thing and Subdomains are another thing...

A domain or a subdomain can have subdirectories. If you installed Vanilla in forum.domain.com, then it is in the root of that subdomain. If you installed Vanilla in forum.domain.com/spactealk , you installed it in a subdirectory of that subdomain.

If you have a domain.com , same would apply. That would be the root. And if you installed vanilla in domain.com/forum , that would be a subdirectory.

the / slash without anything afterwards represents the root of the domain or subdomain.

I hope that helps..

But post your htaccess file here anyway, because some people got a bad one and it may be causing them problems.

• @vrijvlinder Thanks a lot. I will work on it now to get a solution

• edited June 2017

@vrijvlinder attached is my htaccess file in .txt format. I am currently unable to access the new subdomain url here testforum.consumercomplaints.ng/dashboard/setup

I will like a walk through on how to set it up completely.

• @vrijvlinder
    Thanks, it worked. it finally gave me the setup page. All I did was to change the content of my .htaccess with what you shared with me and it worked. I created a test subdomain just for this purpose.

Thanks again.

How do I close this question as answered?

@haliaeetusvocifer said:
    @vrijvlinder
    Thanks, it worked. it finally gave me the setup page. All I did was to change the content of my .htaccess with what you shared with me and it worked. I created a test subdomain just for this purpose.

Thanks again.

How do I close this question as answered?

By accepting the answer it marks it automatically . Thank you and glad that solved your problem.