Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Guests can't see posts and are redirected to login page

For some reason Guests cannot view posts even though the default role for Guest is unchanged and says they should be able to. Anybody have an idea how to check/fix this?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@bobafifi

Welcome to the community.

Have you (or someone) set up special permissions for categories?

• bobafifibobafifi New
    edited July 2017

Thanks for the reply! No, I'm not using categories - however I did try them out in the beginning, and then reverted to not using them. Could that have somehow have affected the settings? I would have thought Vanilla would just go back to where it was and reset?

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

@bobafifi написал:
    For some reason Guests cannot view posts even though the default role for Guest is unchanged and says they should be able to. Anybody have an idea how to check/fix this?

Hi
    You may need to enable categories, provide visitor privileges, and disable categories again.. ( If they were created )

• Thanks kopna, can you please tell me how to "provide visitor privileges" - I'm not seeing that as an option.

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

@bobafifi написал:
    Thanks kopna, can you please tell me how to "provide visitor privileges" - I'm not seeing that as an option.

"provide visitor privileges" - it's a guest. Perhaps this issue is solved in another way ;)

• Thanks @kopna - Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I didn't receive the email notification. For some reason, I don't have a News and Announcements category, just General. Isn't there a way to find out where the re-direct is coming from and just modify the code to allow Guests to view?

• Is the class.entrycontroller.php page responsible for the login redirects? If not, does anybody know which page is?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

kopna just took one of his own categories ("News and Announcements") to show you what to look at.

You have misconfigured your forum. Changing the code instead of the permissions in the dashboard is a very wrong idea.

• Thanks @R_J -- I didn't install the forum, my hosting company did -- manually -- because the Softaculous install didn't work (and still doesn't). I agree with you R_J, I'd rather not mess with hacking the core scripts, but don't want to start over if there's possibly a simple fix somewhere like changing 'true' to 'false'. Thanks again!

Please look again at the screenshots provided by kopna. The answer is already there

• Hi R_J - I've tried enabling/disabling categories several times - doesn't fix. I've opened a support ticket with the hosting company to review the install. Thanks!

Go to http://"your forum here"/vanilla/settings/editcategory/1
    Find a checkbox "This category has custom permissions." and un-check it if it is checked

Test if that solved your problem

If not check again the guest role: "Default Category Permissions Discussions View" must be checked.