Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Add additional Emoji in V 2.3?

Just migrated from the fairly awful SMF Forum system into Vanilla, but I'd like to bring my Emoji with me. I can't find a way to do that. Is there a plugin or a manual process I might use?

Thank you!
Ron

Comments

• You can upload the emojis themselves to resources/emoji
    But you'll also have to code them in to work, you can do that in library/core/class.emoji.php

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is a far better way to do so: copy them in their own folder to /plugins/EmojiExtender/emoji/.

Afterwards you have to add a "manifest.php" file. Simply copy one of the manifest.php files you can find in the other sub folders and change it to match your icon set.

Afterwards go to the dashboard, activate the emoji extender pugin and choose your own set of emoticons. No need to change core files.

• demifuguedemifugue New
    edited July 2017

Thank you for this R_J! I see that the emoji extender plugin is uploaded, but I can't seem to activate it in my dashboard. Is there something else I should be doing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's called Emoji Sets on the dashboard. Thank you!

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to enable it. But maybe the question is not that you cannot enabe it, but that you cannot find it...

The name of a plugin doesn't necessarily have to correspond with the folder name. The EmojiExtender plugin has the name "Emoji Sets" and you can find it under that name in the list of plugins.

And just in case that you have "solved" other problems by editing any other file than those in the /conf folder: create a new discussion and ask if there is another way to solve the problem. You will be losing all customizations with the next upgrade if you customize your forum by changing Vanillas files. Vanilla has been built to be easy extendable and for nearly every problem there is an easy way to fix it.