HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.3.1 "basic registration" configuration points to defunct site for reCAPTCHA setup

Just installed Vanilla 2.3.1. Stock, no additional plugins. Dashboard -> Registration says:

"The basic registration form requires new users to use reCAPTCHA to keep spammers out of the site. You need an account at recaptcha.net."

FYI, recaptcha.net no longer exists. That link just results in a 404 page.

The message/link should be updated to this:

"The basic registration form requires new users to use reCAPTCHA to keep spammers out of the site. You need an account at www.google.com/recaptcha."

Comments

• Use google recaptcha work fine,

Regards,

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to Vanilla!

It's unlikely that there will be another 2.3.x release so changing the link in the 2.3 branch on GitHub wouldn't make sense.

The way captchas are implemented in Vanilla 2.4 has been changed drastically. Until then, recaptcha was part of the dashboard application, which handles everything user related in Vanilla.
    With Vanilla 2.4 there comes a captcha core class which can be extended by plugins and that's what happend to recaptcha: it has been made a plugin. In that plugin, the link has been fixed

• So, ya'll are OK having the default experience broken for folks trying to setup a new vanilla forum?

I'm trying to evaluate using vanilla for a new forum I need to get up and running soon. It seems nearly ready for real use in production, but maybe not really?

Sorry to be blut, but I didn't think vanilla was in this kinda beta stage. Is 2.4 close to being production-ready?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Jeff_s

Not really sure what your point is.

Vanilla 2.3 is being used in production all over the place.

What, exactly, are you having a problem with?

• Attempt to setup a new vanilla forum with 2.3.1. The first think you're going to want to do is to enable Captcha (not only because that's just a good idea, but also because the default registration page points out that captcha ISN'T yet setup). Oh, and the second thing you're going to want to do is enable Google OAuth signin - and that plugin is broken by default, too (but that's another story/thread).

So: follow the directions and BOOM, 404 error.

Yes, vanilla is in use all over the place, but you're got going to be adding many NEW forums when your default 'getting started' experience ends in a 404.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2017

I'm not doing anything, re: Vanilla, apart from using it (without any problem.)

This forum is supported by volunteers who use the open source version.

Sometimes a Vanilla dev will get on here, but mostly it's just plain folks.

Pointing out you are unhappy with something on here may make you feel better, but it won't get you very far.

If you want to know what you could do to get Vanilla 2.3.1 working, like many of us on here have done, ask a specific question/explain what you tried and what doesn't work.

• yeah, I get it. Thanks for replying. I was just kinda surprised by the statement above:

It's unlikely that there will be another 2.3.x release so changing the link in the 2.3 branch on GitHub wouldn't make sense.

Yeah, it's broken. Yeah, it's a one-line fix. Naw, we're not going to fix it. Bummer - doesn't inspire faith and doesn't put Vanilla's best foot forward for literally every new forum that's setup with 2.3.

Anyway, you're right: 'nuff said here.

• @Jeff_s Good day Vanilla is a safe forum, I do not understand pq says that captcha does not work for me it works with recaptcha, I have a forum with 500 users and more than 150K visits in a month ranged very well alexa, and works perfect, you will not find a free forum with the support and benefits of vanilla,

Regards,