Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Quote in conversations

Short question; is the an easy way to add the possibility to quote a conversation message?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited September 2017

@Starfleet said:
    Short question; is the an easy way to add the possibility to quote a conversation message?

It would be redundant unless you are in a conversation with multiple users I suppose, but you could use html and use <blockquote>the quote</blockquote> tags then you can add a css rule to highlight the quote.

It may be possible to modify it (Quotes plugin) to conversations

• StarfleetStarfleet New
    edited September 2017

Sure, but I'm looking for a possibility to have the formatting included in the quote as well. It's kinda hard to explain but my users share conversations with each other quite a lot (without the sender being able to see). So having a quote button would make it much more easy to copy the post (formatting included) and then send it to the other person. We've used SMF up to a month ago and as it was possible there, my users have been asking about bringing it back.

I was indeed looking at the quotes plugin but I don't have the knowledge to modify this for use in conversations. If it's not that hard, I would love to learn how to do such things tho. :tongue:

What you need is to use rich text formatting , when you select the editor format in the dashboard you must pick WYSIWYG . What editor are you using ?

• I'm just using the advanced editor with html as format; which is the format that I want to use.

@Starfleet said:
    I'm just using the advanced editor with html as format; which is the format that I want to use.

That does not allow rich text, only html code you manually must add to the post. If you want to copy a post that includes style, you need to use rich text as the editor format. Select WYSIWYG if that is what you want. If not then you have selected html and must make that work for you.

• StarfleetStarfleet New
    edited September 2017

I don't think you really understand me; I'd just like to be able to quote conversations. Once you quote a message it'll show the html code that's been used in the message.

So if I use a italic styling in my message, the next person will be able to quote the message and then copy with the html formatting (italic text) intact. And then forward the message to another user as a quote (with intact formatting) and include their own message below this quote. We use the forum in combination with a game and thus made use of this quite often (on SMF).

Does that make sense? If it's really hard to explain me how to do that then that's alright but I'm trying to learn some more and hoped there would be someone here who'd be able to help. :P

@Starfleet said:
    I don't think you really understand me

I don't think you understand me. I know you want to quote and retain the formatting from that post. That means rich text... Have you tried to change the formatting to what I suggested ?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@Starfleet said:

"Easy" depends on your skills. It is not as easy as adding the quote button somewhere.

The quote button gets the discussion /comment from the database, thus being able to format it.

In order to make the quote plugin work there, you would need to a) show it in messages and b) make it fetching the message from the database

It's doable, but it requires someone who is able to read the quote plugin and make use of its methods

• @R_J said:

@Starfleet said:

"Easy" depends on your skills. It is not as easy as adding the quote button somewhere.

The quote button gets the discussion /comment from the database, thus being able to format it.

In order to make the quote plugin work there, you would need to a) show it in messages and b) make it fetching the message from the database

It's doable, but it requires someone who is able to read the quote plugin and make use of its methods

Yeah okay, that answers my question; not as easy as I hoped it would be. I might look at it once I've gained some more experience then. Thanks tho!