Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to migrate an existing forum to a new domain?

Hi there!
I need to change a domain name for my forum. It is going to be the same hosting, the same DB, but a different domain. How can I do this in a right way?

Thank you!

Comments

• Hi, there are some tutorials if you search the forum. Is this a stand alone forum?... or is it embeded?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

This assumes that the new domain can access your current MySQL db's. If it can't, you will need to import your current DB.

If I were doing it, I would copy the entire current Vanilla installation in to the new domain, keeping the exact same folder relationship (i.e., if it is currently in a folder called forum, two levels from root, make sure that is the case in the new domain.)

Clear the ini files from cache.

In a perfect world, that would do it, but depending on whether you are using a htacess file and what you have in it, that might need editing.

There may be more elegant ways to achieve the same thing, but that's how I've done it in the past.

• Thank you!
    Yes, the new domain can access my current MySQL DB.
    Do I need to change anything in config files, after I copy my current Vanilla installation? Like is there a domain parameter? or any path parameters?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I can't say for sure, since there are many possible scenarios, but in my case, nothing needed changing.

The config file points, among other things, to your DB, and stores its credentials, but since that hasn't changed, you shouldn't need to change that. (And Vanilla will quickly let you know if it can't find the DB named in config.)

Depending on if/how your htaccess file was set up, some lines in there may need to be changed.

I'd have a go with what I've suggested (while keeping your current site live, just in case...) and come back on here if you run into any problems.

• Thank you whu606! I will do a DB backup

@whu606 said:
    I can't say for sure, since there are many possible scenarios, but in my case, nothing needed changing.

The config file points, among other things, to your DB, and stores its credentials, but since that hasn't changed, you shouldn't need to change that. (And Vanilla will quickly let you know if it can't find the DB named in config.)

Depending on if/how your htaccess file was set up, some lines in there may need to be changed.

I'd have a go with what I've suggested (while keeping your current site live, just in case...) and come back on here if you run into any problems.

• How is it going? @mikerds