Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

RFC - Symlink for forum URL

Hello, I was not very forward-thinking on one of my forum installs.. ie. domain.com/forum3/

Now that all is working.. I'd like to change the 'forum3' to something more appetizing. I was thinking I could simply create a linux Symlink.

So visitors would see: domain.com/forum/.. but behind the scenes would really be accessing forum3.

Any thoughts on this?... why it might not work?

Another idea would be creating a web server alias with the same idea.

Thanks,
Donovan

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I guess it should work, but do you have deleted the ini files in the cache?

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You could also create another subdirectory install vanilla and use the same database from the old one.

• Options

@vrijvlinder Yeah, I've moved a vanilla forum before (and even wrote my own tutorial on that).. but was just trying to save all those steps by simply doing an alias or symlink. @R_J I'll try that today and report back.

• Options

just to follow up on this so that this thread isn't left in a black hole... I had problems with the symlink and alias ideas... but, it is not conclusive on weather it works yet or not. I believe both my problems were related to CPANEL quirks. First, the symlink isn't working because of some kind of check on it's permissions (CPANEL doesn't like 777 permissions on symlinks). Simple fix right?... well, it turns out that one can't edit symlink permissions in the OS that this CPANEL resides on (CentOS 6.9).

The Alias didn't work either, and I'm not sure why. CPANEL has a convoluted way of creating directory aliases, so I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it correctly. I suppose I could try .htaccess... maybe I'll do that next if I have time.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Quite strang. I work with symlinks all the time. All files reside in /etc/nginx/dontaskmefordetails and in my nginx server configs I always use a symlinked /var/www
    But it's debian and no CPANEL...

• Options

Well, I went back to the symlink just now, and it worked. I must have did something wrong the first trys.. anyway.. checking links.. had to change the URL in wordpress.. testing for other issues.

• Options

Okay... this just works. Basically it's very simple. You can have a forum in a directory, ie. yourdomain.com/badthinking and simply create a symlink, ie. yourdomain.com/better and it's like you put your forum in the right place the first time, without the hassle of changing directories. ;-) The only link I needed to change was 'RewriteBase' in the .htaccess. (then delete cache files).