Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

how to disable captcha?

Hello again! One more question from a beginner :-)
Is there a way to temporary disable captcha on sign up?

Thank you
Mike

Comments

• and one more thing is that I don't see pockets addon in my vanila 2.3 installation. When I login as an admin, I dont see menu items that I saw in the demo video.... is there anything else that I need to install?

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@mikerds said:

Thank you
    Mike

use a different method or disable signup

and one more thing is that I don't see pockets addon in my vanila 2.3 installation.

You mean in the files? Or in the dashboard ? coz it comes with vanilla.

When I login as an admin, I dont see menu items that I saw in the demo video....

Don't know what you saw, please post a screenshot of what you saw and/or give a link for where you saw that.

is there anything else that I need to install?

Please read the documentation. For this plugin, all you need is to set permissions.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@mikerds said:

Thank you
    Mike

You need a (very simple) plugin for that which only has one method:

public function base_captcha_handler($sender, $args) {
            $args['Handled'] = true;
        }

I just made it a download in the addon section: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/nocaptcha-plugin

@mikerds said:
    and one more thing is that I don't see pockets addon in my vanila 2.3 installation. When I login as an admin, I dont see menu items that I saw in the demo video.... is there anything else that I need to install?

Have you enabled the plugin?

@R_J said:
    You need a (very simple) plugin for that which only has one method:

It needs not only those three lines but some more. But all in all it is a great example of how easy you can change Vanillas behavior. The plugin has 25 lines but more than the half of it is the plugin header and empty lines inserted for readability.

I know that in this case the difference isn't the code complexity but the know how, but if you ever plan to write a plugin on your own, just ask and the community would most certainly be able to tell what you have to look for.

• @R_J said:

@mikerds said:
    and one more thing is that I don't see pockets addon in my vanila 2.3 installation. When I login as an admin, I dont see menu items that I saw in the demo video.... is there anything else that I need to install?

Have you enabled the plugin?

No. Do I need to download it and enable? I thought it is pre-installed already... is it not the case?

If I need to install it manually, is this the latest version? https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/pockets-plugin

Will it slow down the app if I install it? I don't want my message board to load too long, and I have a feeling that every plugin that install adds extra time.

Quite a lot of questions...

Generally spoken:
    1. Every plugin that you can find in the addon section is not part of the standard Vanilla installation. So you have to download it and unzip that file to your plugins folder
    2. You should try the version from the addon section, but you could try searching on GitHub for a newer compatible version
    3. A plugin adds code, more code means more execution time.
    4. Most if not all of the plugins written by the Vanilla team are highly optimized for speed because they have to work efficiently on very large forums.
    5. What might slow down your forum is
    5.1. loading of additional css and js files, but you should cache queries to such resources by optimizing your server settings
    5.2. poorly coded or calculation intense database queries and there is nothing you can do against that
    6. You should use memcached. That will boost the performance since a lot of database queries could benefit from being cached
    7. You should read about caching static files with htaccess directives or using nginx (or varnish?)

Concerning pockets:
    The version 1.2 in the addon section is the most current version for Vanilla <= 2.4beta.
    It needs additional database queries, but as far as I know, the pockets plugin is one of the more important plugins for the Vanilla teams and so you can bet that it's optimized quite well.
    It will add a css file, but no js file.

You wouldn't experience any difference in the forum "smoothness" if you use it or not. I don't think you would even be able to measure a difference.
    But in the end there is no reason to not try it. If you really feel a difference, try to get memcached on your server installed, enable caching in your config, add static file caching to your htaccess file and after that you will be impressed on how much faster browsing your forum has become.

• mikerdsmikerds New
    edited October 2017

@R_J said:
    If you really feel a difference, try to get memcached on your server installed, enable caching in your
    config, add static file caching to your htaccess file and after that you will be impressed on how much
    faster browsing your forum has become.

Thank you so much! I think, I may need some optimization because my forum seems to be a bit slow. Especially during user registration, it takes 4-5 seconds, after I click sign up button. will redis help me here?

Thanks,
    M

• can I have mecached installed on AWS while vanilla running on GoDaddy? or it should be on the same hosting?

@mikerds said:
    will redis help me here?

Vanilla and none of the plugins I know make use of Redis

@mikerds said:
    can I have mecached installed on AWS while vanilla running on GoDaddy? or it should be on the same hosting?

I do not know this. I think that it will not be the best option and I guess it might be worse.

The web server runs PHP which assembles your page. It queries the database which is on the same server. If it fetches cached queries from another server, the speed between GoDaddy and amazon would be the bottle neck. It might be faster, it might be slower, I don't know.

I know that GoDaddy is recommended by a lot of people but that doesn't make them the only choice. You can search for shared hosting providers which offer memcached. A minute of searching gave me that list: https://www.whoishostingthis.com/compare/memcached/

@mikerds said:

@R_J said:

I think, I may need some optimization because my forum seems to be a bit slow. Especially during user registration, it takes 4-5 seconds, after I click sign up button. will redis help me here?

That's awfully slow! A cache helps in that a database query doesn't have to be run which has run before. The database action when registering a new user is to write something to the database and memcached would be useless here.
    You should check if that is a plain Vanilla problem or if there are any plugins which are causing that. Disable all plugins (except htmlawed), return to the default theme and register.

Afterwards change back to your theme and register a new user.
    Activate a plugin and register - do this for each plugin one by one.

If regisstration is that slow with no plugins and no custom theme, you have a very slow hosting plan...

• mikerdsmikerds New
    edited October 2017

@R_J said:
    The web server runs PHP which assembles your page. It queries the database which is on the same server. If it fetches cached queries from another server, the speed between GoDaddy and amazon would be the bottle neck. It might be faster, it might be slower, I don't know.

Thank you! I understand now, it looks like there should be mostly insert queries to register a new user, so caching will probably not help here... maybe the problem is in hosting... I am thinking of migrating to AWS one day, so I will have full control on the environment.