Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I upgrade Version 2.0.18.4 to 2.3

I have completed the first steps by backing up my database, .htaccess and conf/config.php files.

I have downloaded version 2.3 to my computer.

I take it that should just 'Upload the new release's files so they overwrite the old ones' into my current forum folder in my public_html folder?

Does 'Delete all files in /cache' refer to the old cache in my forum folder or the cache in the new upload?

Unsure about: Go to yourforum.com/utility/update to run any database updates needed. (404? See next paragraph.) If it fails, try it a second times by refreshing the page.

Where do I find yourfourm.com/utility/update?

Apologies for so many questions but i inherited this old forum and don't have any experience in the backend of it.

Best Answers

• cckaadmincckaadmin New
    Answer ✓

Thanks everyone for the advice. I carried out the steps detailed below and was told that the upgrade was successful.

• Disabled plugins
    • Deleted /applications/dashboard, /applications/vanilla, /applications/conversations and /library
    • Deleted these files from server as instructed to do so in the main documentation:
      /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php and /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php

• Unziped Vanilla 2.3 download to my forum folder

• Opened: www.ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/utility/update and
      ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/utility/structure

• Tried to open this but it didn't exist ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/dba/counts

My forum appears like this now. Is there another step or is something missing?

Answers

• Thanks, that sounds ok.

Will I have to upload the old conversations and library folders to get all the old posts and users back again? How do I keep all current users and post to come across to the new version?

Not too fused on loosing the couple of plugins we have installed. Could i not just download new ones if required?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@cckaadmin

Users/posts/etc are held in the DB. Upgrading Vanilla should not affect the DB, beyond having to run utility/update.

That said, always back up your DB before upgrading!

Not all plugins that worked on 2.0/2.1 have been updated by their authors, which is why RJ suggested the one-by-one enable approach, so you can easily see if one is no longer compatible.

Obviously, any plugins which come with Vanilla will work.

• cckaadmincckaadmin New
    Answer ✓

Thanks everyone for the advice. I carried out the steps detailed below and was told that the upgrade was successful.

• Disabled plugins
    • Deleted /applications/dashboard, /applications/vanilla, /applications/conversations and /library
    • Deleted these files from server as instructed to do so in the main documentation:
      /themes/mobile/views/discussions/helper_functions.php and /applications/dashboard/views/default.master.php

• Unziped Vanilla 2.3 download to my forum folder

• Opened: www.ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/utility/update and
      ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/utility/structure

• Tried to open this but it didn't exist ccka.co.uk/forum/index.php?p=/dba/counts

My forum appears like this now. Is there another step or is something missing?

• I worked it out. I had not disabled one of my plugins. Once I disabled it, the format popped back.