Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

don't assign custom role

varomixvaromix New
edited October 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi

I have a custom role for my users that I want to use to give them access to special premium forums, but right now everyone that comes to the forum get my custom role assigned,
How can I just make it so that role is just sitting there? no auto assigning, I want to add it by hand, for now

thank you

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There are some config settings which deal with default roles, though I remember that there was some unexpected behavior with this feature...

$Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles']        = array('8'); // The default role(s) to assign new users (4 is "Member")
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['DefaultRoles']        = array('8'); // The default role(s) to assign new users (4 is "Member")
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID']     = 4; // The "Applicant" RoleID.
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ApplicantRoleID']     = 4; // The "Applicant" RoleID.
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['InviteRoles']         = 'FALSE';
    $Configuration['Garden']['Registration']['ConfirmEmailRole']    = 3;

You should confirm that the info in your config doesn't conflict with your role settings

• why are those 4 lines repeated?
    Not sure what I need to change there, not afraid of code, just not really understanding what to modify.

thank you

• soooooo is there a way to just have a role sitting there so I can assign it by hand? I later want to do some sort of script to automate the process but right now I need to not have my custom role applied to the EVERY user, please help me.
    thanks

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

That's typically how it works.

I've got several custom roles which are only applied by manually assigning them to members.

Create another role and see if that is applied to all users.

If so, there is an issue on your forum that needs resolving, as that is not expected behaviour.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Would you mind posting the content of your GDN_Role table from your database?

It sounds like your custom role is the changed default member role.

• what happens is that it applies both member and my custom roles

• Ok I had my custom role based on Member, I though I had to give it a default time but I don't and if I don't, just leave it blank and it works as expected.

thank you