Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

View counter not working on 2.3.1 -- is it restricted by IP address?

The view counter for posts doesn't work as expected on my 2.3.1 test forum. It stays stuck at '1', even signing in under two different accounts. I had the same problem with 2.1, which was solved by peregrine's 'Increment View' plugin, which is no longer available.

So I tried my copy of 'Increment View' from 2.1 and was pleased to see it works in 2.3.1 too.

Of course, only myself has accessed my test forum so far. My question is whether the view counter is restricted by IP address, or whether this is a fault persisting through to 2.3.1?

Comments

• Options

Of course, if view count is restricted by IP address rather than each literal view, maybe that is good behaviour.

So I tried it in Tor with Increment View disabled. It worked. But then it worked over and over again with the same user and same IP. So the fault is maybe with the ordinary Firefox.

Odd.

• Options

Tested now in Vivaldi. Works fine. So this is a fault with Firefox (v53 I have, must update).

• Options

It is with some amusement that I notice the view counter is not working here either on this post. Since I have made three comments and it has not moved from '1' yet.

So clearly Firefox users are not being counted by Vanilla. Massive underreporting problem.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2017

I'm using Firefox, and the counter seems to be working fine on here, and on my forum.

• Options

Maybe it is a Firefox extension interferring, but you can see from the image you've posted that there are more comments than views. How could that happen if it was working?

• Options

Further amusement and proof of concept:

• Options

I've discovered what was preventing the View Counter from working in my Firefox. As suspected, it was a Firefox extension, which I found by disabling them one by one. It's the uBlock Origin extension. This can probably be overcome by the options in uBlock Origin, although I don't know how to do that at the moment. In any case, this will have no effect on other people coming to your Vanilla site. Given that the uBlock Origin extension is VERY popular, you need to know that visits from people with this extension are not being counted in Views.

• Options
    sudden156sudden156 ✭✭
    edited November 2017

So this is now solved, in that uBlockOrigin blocks analyticstick.json on my Vanilla site. This is from the EasyPrivacy blocker list, which is also in Adblock and Adblock Plus.

Removing that subscription list restores the functionality of uBlockOrigin and my Vanilla site. One will have to hope not so many others viewing one's forum use that list.