Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is this broken? It breaks my entire forum on activation :-( [RESOLVED SQL strict mode issue)

2»

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2017

The modes that work for me

ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Contact your host to put them in the config. As setting them via query will only work till mysql is restarted.

grep is your friend.

• As I said unless you set the mysql mode via config as soon as mysql is restarted it will use what is in the config.

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

MySQL5.7 has strict mode on by default. Where the previous versions did not.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2017

Yeah the software need to catch up as these warning are there for a reason, but the in the meantime you need to set the modes.

grep is your friend.

• So in order for things to work I need to contact my hosting provider and tell them to put "ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION" in the SQL config file?

Sorry if I'm being slow, I'm way out of my depth here haha

• I ran SELECT @@GLOBAL.sql_mode global, @@SESSION.sql_mode session as per the link you shared @vrijvlinder and this is what I got:

That tells you that MySQL is using Strict mode which you must disable. For this you might need special permissions or only your host can do it for you. Tell them you need them to disable Strict mode for your MySQL database.

as x00 said, ask them to put these in if necessary.

ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

• I as said before setting via query will only work until mysql is restarted for whatever reason. So is not permanent, and the issue is prone to reoccur.

The config file is in different location depending on OS distribution. If you are not confident with server admin, best contact the host and get them to help you set the sql-mode.

grep is your friend.

• to me clear

ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION is the sql-mode you need , you're adding to the existing values. Ask them to use that for your sql mode.

grep is your friend.

• Sorry for the delay. So interestingly enough the problem was with Godaddy and how they support their servers. After an hour with support they explained that they only support Non-Strict modes with pricey dedicated servers.

Turning off "Strict" mode would require you to be on either a Dedicated Server or Virtual Private Server and is not available under the shared server that you're currently using.. We could look into the possibility of working on a VPS / Dedicated server, but it'd be a large difference in pricing and would normally require you to have server administrator experience>

Basically unless I paid more, the standard hosting package they were giving me wouldn't support Yaga and possibly other plugins.

They've offered me a full refund and I'm going to try the forum with a different host. I previously used iPage with yaga in an old forum a few years back and it worked seamlessly, so I'll see if they have any good deals on and hopefully things will work out a bit better!

Thanks to everyone who's helped, I've been a fish out of water here and the support and advice has been amazing!

Use FatCow for a host, been using them for almost 8 years...

• I’ve never heard of FatCow. But I doubt they can do worse than Godaddy! I’ll have to look into them. I’m giving iPage another go for now but if they let me down I’ll be sure to get onto FatCow.

Thanks again for all your help! :D

• basically YAGA need to become compatible with strict mode, which in reality is the default these days, anything else is depreciated.

grep is your friend.

• Can't use Yaga, I don't want to run the DB in non strict mode :(. Any other alternatives. Just want the like button.

• @lorddfg said:
    Can't use Yaga, I don't want to run the DB in non strict mode :(. Any other alternatives. Just want the like button.

you could test this

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/891/i-like-this-plugin

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.