Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moving To Vanilla From SMF

EwapEwap New
edited November 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi!
I run the SMF software for my community, and right now I want to move to Vanilla.
I run version 2.0.14 on SMF and want to move to vanilla 2.3.1.

Can you give a detailed tutorial about this or any importer tool to Vanillas forums.
I have a total of 30 members, 500+ post, 90+ topics

Best Answers

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    Answer ✓

@Ewap

Welcome to the community.

Vanilla porter supports SMF:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/porter-core

Docs here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/importing/

• EwapEwap New
    Answer ✓

@whu606 will it be as easy as possible please cause I have no idea how this works?

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓

@Ewap a dit :
    whu606, can I place a step by step info on what I am doing ? Then can you help from there?

Here's what the docs are saying:

Vanilla Porter is the export tool for converting your legacy forum to Vanilla. The process is four steps:

• Export your old forum data to a special “Porter file”.
    • Create a new Vanilla forum.
    • Import the Porter file in Vanilla’s Dashboard.
    • Verify & finalize your new forum.

But important things are pointed after, and details on how to migrate are provided too, explaining that 4 steps.
    I think one of the most important things to do is the 3.

Do one or more test runs to work out any issues and familiarize yourself with the process.

First, you have to know that you need a installed Vanilla to import the data. You can't import data during Vanilla installatiion, only after.
    So first, try to install Vanilla in another folder, just to test it.
    When you think that you're good with forum managment & content moderation on Vanilla, download the Vanilla Porter.
    For Simple machines (smf), it works with all 2.* versions.
    Put the vanilla2export.php file next to the SMF's index.php file, and browse to it.
    Follow the instructions and export the database.
    Warning: in the current porter Version, it can export all SMF 2 data, except: Avatars, Signatures, Permissions, User notes and tags. So all users will have default avatar, no/empty signatures, and default roles (All as members except the first admin) but it can be changed later of course.

All steps are detailed on the docs, https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/importing/porter/
    Dont forget to read all porter documentation because it contains important and useful informations.

If you're stuck, leave us a message here, we'll enjoy to help you.

Welcome to Vanilla :D

Answers

• Also, will I loose my members, their passwords and post?

• Like an openimporter tool????

Answer ✓

@Ewap

Welcome to the community.

Vanilla porter supports SMF:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/porter-core

Docs here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/importing/

• EwapEwap New
    Answer ✓

@whu606 will it be as easy as possible please cause I have no idea how this works?

• @whu606 said:
    It is very straightforward. Just read through the docs I linked to.

You might want to try setting up a Vanilla forum first.

If you can do that, then you will have no trouble with the porter.

If you can't, then you need to do some reading.

Please can I give you my hosting details via pm?
    Will be happy if you could help

• @whu606, can I place a step by step info on what I am doing ? Then can you help from there?

The Vanilla documentation is very clear.

The FAQ tutorial will answer most common questions.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/218921/#Comment_218921

Please don't 'mention' me further.

If you get stuck, post a comment on here, and if someone has time they will try to help you.

edited November 2017 Answer ✓

@Ewap a dit :
    whu606, can I place a step by step info on what I am doing ? Then can you help from there?

Here's what the docs are saying:

Vanilla Porter is the export tool for converting your legacy forum to Vanilla. The process is four steps:

• Export your old forum data to a special “Porter file”.
    • Create a new Vanilla forum.
    • Import the Porter file in Vanilla’s Dashboard.
    • Verify & finalize your new forum.

But important things are pointed after, and details on how to migrate are provided too, explaining that 4 steps.
    I think one of the most important things to do is the 3.

Do one or more test runs to work out any issues and familiarize yourself with the process.

First, you have to know that you need a installed Vanilla to import the data. You can't import data during Vanilla installatiion, only after.
    So first, try to install Vanilla in another folder, just to test it.
    When you think that you're good with forum managment & content moderation on Vanilla, download the Vanilla Porter.
    For Simple machines (smf), it works with all 2.* versions.
    Put the vanilla2export.php file next to the SMF's index.php file, and browse to it.
    Follow the instructions and export the database.
    Warning: in the current porter Version, it can export all SMF 2 data, except: Avatars, Signatures, Permissions, User notes and tags. So all users will have default avatar, no/empty signatures, and default roles (All as members except the first admin) but it can be changed later of course.

All steps are detailed on the docs, https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/importing/porter/
    Dont forget to read all porter documentation because it contains important and useful informations.

If you're stuck, leave us a message here, we'll enjoy to help you.

Welcome to Vanilla :D

• hi @K17
    I have the exporter tool, I have uploaded it and unzipped it. Right in the 'sources' folder of my smf forum.

can you tell me what next? Thanks for the welcome

All is already written ^^
    I think if you have already installed SMF you'll be able to install Vanilla ^^
    Please read all instructions on the vanilla porter's docs ^^

• still testing this...
    i was on mobile the whole time, on pc now, but still some issues with the porter template. I click on the begin export it does nothing, while the 'download exported file' it redirects to file:///%22$path/%22...will share screenshots

also, in the form, do i replace all the default text or just the sets. like prefix?

@K17