Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

need firm answer on Digest capability

I installed Vanilla 3 days ago and its wonderful! A great piece of software BUT BUT BUT . . .

there appears to be no option to ask for daily digest of new discussions. (I read a long (2010) thread about implementing some kind of daily/weekly digest in Vanilla Forum.)

It is my bad, but because the reviews of Vanilla were so glowing, I assumed there was a digest feature.

The docs talk about "post to wall" notifications -- this doesn't cut it.

Just checking here to make sure I am right in that there is NO Digest capability without connection to MailChimp.

Thanks much for an answer, and I'm very sorry if I am right. Vanilla is great!
Clair

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You are correct, there is no digest. Even with connection to MailChimp or a similar service you will not be able to send such a digest "automagically". There are still some logic to be coded.

What you can do, if your forum is no big forum, is enabling the Advanced Notification permission for your users. That way they can choose if they like to be notified on new discussions on a per category level.

But if your forum is bigger, than this will be a bad choice. In such a case you should thinking about hiring a developer.

• mailchimp is not intended for transnational mail anyway, it is intended for newsletter which are a different thing.

grep is your friend.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@R_J, what is the

"There are still some logic to be coded."?

Is there anything planned?

@rbrahmson said:
    @R_J, what is the

"There are still some logic to be coded."?

What I tried to express with that cryptically and gramatically awful sentence have been, that having a connection to some sort of mail service is only one of the tasks when talking about a digest.

The other problems I see, those for which that "some other logic must be coded":

• What should be enclosed in such a digest? New discussions? New Comments? New Users?
    • Category permissions must be respected: the digest must look differently for every role (only if categories with custom permissions exist)
    • That digest still has to be triggered somehow: most elegant would be a CRON job
    • Shouldn't digests be some kind of personlized? Like "There are 4 new discussions since your last visit". If yes, you do not only have to send one mail per role, but really one mail per user which makes the data tha a) has to be retrieved from you forum and b) has to be send to the mail service much more complex.

Is there anything planned?

Nothing that I know of, but I know only the things that you can know from following Vanillas GitHub repository.

But from the last things that have been said here, it became obvious that without having a task queue such a feature would surely not be implemented. At least that have been my understanding and it makes sense to me.

• @x00 said:
    mailchimp is not intended for transnational mail anyway, it is intended for newsletter which are a different thing.

*transactional

grep is your friend.

@x00 said:

@x00 said:
    mailchimp is not intended for transnational mail anyway, it is intended for newsletter which are a different thing.

*transactional

I once had a boss who asked his secretary if sending email to foreign countries is more expensive than emails to German recipients :lol:

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Obviously it is because it is time consuming. However there are more shorter words thus more spaces in between which clearly weigh less and fly faster