Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Embed code not working at all

Hi all, and HNY2018 :)

We try to embed a forum on a WP website, and the plugin is not working but we did notice that even the embed code is not working. We tried the code elsewhere and it's loading for a few seconds and then page remains blank.... Please look at this pen : https://codepen.io/audience/pen/BJdreB

Thanks in advance

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Just embed it using iframe .... in a Wp page.

• thanks for your answer @vrijvlinder but with an iframe ?

I really don't understand why the embed code from the dashboard is not working ...

I tried this code on several webpage of our website, and even elsewhere and it's not working at all..

Please help

The script is actually an iframe of your forum and you can embed it anywhere.

<div><iframe src="your forum url" width="100%" height="1000px"></iframe></div>

That said, vanilla does not really support embedding it is made to be a stand alone forum. Embedding is for lazy or ignorant people who don't know how to code a page to look like where the rest of their website and are asking for problems that no one can solve. Embedding is for fools in my opinion. The embed script is nothing more than an iframe of the stand alone forum. If that does not work for you it could be many reasons having to do with bad java script or jquery you have running on the site you wish to embed in.

I do not recommend embedding at all. It robs you of many features that may not work as with the stand alone forum.

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Yep @vrijvlinder is true embeding is not best choice.
    To match a theme, the easiest is to use the embed theme and put all you want aroud.
    That's what I did here:

(It's not embeded !)

• there is more to to the embed code that just an iframe, for one it has history/url scheme, thought it doen't use the latest javascript history methods and instead relies on # (anchors) and it is dynamically loaded.

Embedding is not the first choiceI'd suggest but is useful in some cases. E.g. where the forum is minor component, or an as archive.

Btw the old SEO limitation of iframe no longer apply as iframe content is crawled in connect these day even dynamically loaded content is crawled.

What you have to be really weary of is solution that use force loading of frameworks where one framework attempts to load another or so called 'bridges'. these are terrible solutions and there is not such thing as a framework bridge that is ever gogin to be viable. frameworks cannot just be melded together in this way.

instead it recommend to theme appropriately to make it blend to the site or even contrast which underrated). There are advanced method to pull additional data though APIs through other method but you really need to know what you are doing.

grep is your friend.

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

The main problem of the iframe is mobile.
    It's a pain to use Vanilla throught embed because Vanilla will load mobile theme in, and you will loose all mobile benefits.
    And the Popup works strangely in iframe.

• In short I have advised embedded solution in a number of cases that suited it. However generally advise to theme to fit in with the site/concept.

Making things with the same header, is very common but arguably over done. Sometimes contrast is actually better to de-mark section of a site.

grep is your friend.

• Also embedding doesn't mean that there isn't any additional dosing work necessary. There can be a lot of work needed to clean thing up, to make seamless.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks to all for your comments.

I would like to know why is the embed code (from the dashboard) not working ?

Has it become obsolete ?

@Audience said:
    Thanks to all for your comments.

I would like to know why is the embed code (from the dashboard) not working ?

Has it become obsolete ?

Maybe, but we don’t know what you embedded into, how you set it up etc. Some people have succeeded others not.

This software was not made for embedding , it’s only a perk for those who want to . But it is problematic by comparison to using it for what it was made.

Embedding anything is obsolete !!! It does not matter what.