Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Theme is using dashboard styles?

Hi.

Experienced PHP/web developer here but new to Vanilla. Having a go at theming a site. I've taken the Auro2 theme and an customising it.

The site seems to be loading the dashboard styles in the Head asset. Is this normal? It's causing me a lot of trouble. Is there a way to prevent this? Have I done something wrong?

Thanks

Ross

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I guess you are talking about style.css? Normally you would style by adding something to the basic style. If you really want to replace each and every style, simply name the css file of your theme "style.css". But that is not recommended...

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

If you're talking about
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/applications/dashboard/design/style.css?v=2.5" media="all" />
    It's normal, this sheet contains all style for default Vanilla themes and set default rules for custom themes (and the default.master.tpl used as default by vanilla is in the same folder) because it's managed by the "dashboard' application. But the Dashboard main style is in
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/applications/dashboard/design/admin.css?v=2.5" media="all" />

You can't prevent the style.css from loading because Vanilla will need it if your theme do not replace all rules it will mess up your forum.
    You have to override it with theme custom.css

• There's actually a little bit of confusion about this, but the application "Dashboard" is not purely limited to the dashboard section. I guess it's kind of in an unrelated section of the documentation, and we could probably do with a document on the various different parts and pieces of Vanilla, but this section might be helpful.

https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/vanilla-cli/build-process-core/#app-admin-bundles

We are currently trying to make this more clear, but to quote it:

App

The App section of Vanilla is the front-end/client/consumer facing portion of Vanilla. This is the part of Vanilla that is viewed by an average user. Currently this includes CategoryLists, DiscussionLists, Discussions, Profiles, ConversationLists, Conversations, and more.

This is not:

• Everything the in Vanilla application.
    • Front-end as in front-end/back-end web development.

Admin

The Admin section of Vanilla is what is traditionally thought of as the “Dashboard”. It is made up of all the configuration screens / admin panel / etc. This is accessible to much fewer users. This should not be confused with the dashboard addon, which provides both an Admin section (the control panel, settings, etc), and an app section (The profile pages).

The App section of Vanilla is made up of parts of both the Vanilla and Dashboard applications. The Admin section has pieces from both. This made a little bit more confusing by the Admin area being consider the "Dashboard" section to Gdn_Theme.

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

That's what I tried to explain here ^^ Thanks for more clear explanations ^^

• Ah right. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'm fighting the CSS then! Thank you.

I was in a bit of a hurry before but I'll try to read some more of the docs before digging into things any more

Cheers