HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

FeedDiscussionsPlus Plugin updated to support 2.5 (as well as 2.3)

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

Supporting both versions concurrently turned out not to be that simple. Sorry for the delay...

Let me know if you have any issues.

(For curious developers: The plugin is back-end heavy that required deviation from the standard Vanilla plugin setup process and that in turn required different approaches in 2.3 and 2.5 - double the work in order to provide the user interface my intranet users wanted.)

Comments

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@rbrahmaon First of all I would like to say thank you for the update. I tried the plugin; however, no listings show up. I checked all settings, created user for feeds, specified how often and category. I checked and validated. I clicked on schedule, it says Ready but nothing shows up. What am I missing?

Update: I got it to work but only with Fox News rss. I tried CNN, Reuters but nothing shows up. Also, I noticed if the number of items is left blank, nothing shows up. I put a number like 1 or 2. By the way, is there way to list the exact source of the website for each feed discussion displayed to link to the exact source of that website? For example Reuters site has Arts category feed. As I use the feed for Arts, this contains many and many articles. I want the article displayed to have the exact source of the article URL, rather than the general Arts URL. Hope this makes sense. Thank you.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I tried CNN and it doesn't have an RSS/atom feed defined in it's main page (as is confirmed by clicking on the Feed Validator button.) Not every site has a valid feed. If you think that a feed exists and it passes the feed validation test then send me the feed URL.

If you managed to define a feed and nothing is imported then verify that (1) your options don't prevent the import (e.g. max number of items to process, filters, etc.), (2) there actually are new feed entries to import, (3) the specific feed is scheduled for import.

A good way to test the above is to (1) in global options activate detailed reporting (2) schedule the specific feed for immediate manual import.

Now for your last question (and it really is better to have one question per post in this forum); where exactly do you want the URL to be and which url exactly? It's unclear to me because every imported entry is marked with "imported from xxx" link to the exact url exactly as you asked...

Last but not least - please provide screen shots - this helps me understand better what you discuss.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Correction: Indeed the "imported from xxx" points to the feed URL rather than the specific item. I will consider your request for the next version.

@rbrahmson Thank you for the information, details, your thorough explanation and your contributions to this community. This is a great plugin! Keep up the good work :-)

@rbrahmson Just wanted to add that when a feed logo is chosen for the feed, the logo sits on top of the text / title of the feed when that discussion is viewed. When my own user logo is chosen, it sits in its correct place right next to the user name. This is probably a design issue. Where would I correct this. Thanks.

@websfere - can you give me access to view your forum? I want to use web inspector to look at this logo misplacement. While this feature is theme dependent I want to try to support your forum.

Great, thanks. I see it now. The logo is moved with screen resize and may overlay other informtion. It is repositioned correctly upon browser refresh.

I have a solution that is a bit heavy on the client side so I'm researching a different solution. Will let you know.

BTW, seems like your forum relies heavily on imports. Do you use anything aside from this plugin to populate your forum or is everything else done manually?

Thank you for checking it out and the feedback that you provided. The only imports are the two IGN tweets on my site using your plugin. The rest I have entered manually which is time consuming. Currently awaiting and looking forward to having more members sign up. I appreciate your help!

• @rbrahmson how can I do to import the complete feed and not just part of the ?

Example:

Hi @terabytefrelance - thanks for using the plugin. Can you epxlain what is missing? Do you refer to the fact that the linked article has more content? That is a standard practice of some web sites feed generators -- to truncate the content included in the feed stream so that users would be enticed to go to the original site rather than get all the information from feeds.

So if the problem is that the feed information is not reflective of the entire web site from which it was created - then it is not a bug (and read more about this below). However if the feed contains more information and the plugin trancates the information, then it's a bug...

Now for the websites practice of truncating information then include in the feeds: I have made myself a point to research the possibility of grabbing more information from the website itself rather than just the feed stream. It's on the future todo list...

• thanks for your response @rbrahmson the plugin works perfectly, I understand the content, a great improvement, it would be that the plugin will show the articles or post of each feed, and one to be able to select which ones to import and thanks for the work is excellent as always****

Good news @terabytefrelance - I researched the matter (was intrigued by the problem) and uncovered a way that can retrieve more data out of feed streams created by many feed generators. It would work for the feed that you gave in your example and many more (but not 100% of them...). I think I once mentioned that the RSS/ATOM feed space is not conforming to standards (which in themselves are currently imperfect) - many feeds that the plugin managed to read fail the W3 validation.

I don't now when I will implement this -- it all depends on available time...

Hi @terabytefrelance - can you try the plugin version on github and check how it works on your CRIPTO TENDENCIA feed (and other feeds as well)?

• Excelent @rbrahmson work perfect,

Thks,

• @rbrahmson ist posible solver error feed url:http://infocoin.net/feed/ impor text perfect no import images validator feed error atach image.

Needs research.
    FYI, the feed Validator is not my code - it is the official standard validator. However, because the standard is incomplete there is no guarantee that every feed is readable - sometimes accepting an exception will break other feeds...

But I will look into that forum and try to resolve this issue.
    BTW, what's your forum site?

Just uploaded a new version (2.5.4) that works with the above feed infocoin.net) as well as additional rich rss formats.
    It also incorporates anexperimental Instagram feed import. To check it out you can insert an Instagram entity prefixed by an exclamation mark. For example, for IBM you would enter !IBM.

Thans for using the plugin.

Hii @terabytefrelance -I'm testing new version where feed streams can be saved as comments under one discussion. I think that's a feature you asked for in the past. Just FYI...