Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't access dashboard settings area - fresh install [RESOLVED]

GermontGermont New
edited March 2018 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello!

Everything went just fine on the forum I manage. But I tried to install Yaga plugin, and then I can't acces anymore some sections of the dashboard.
I check the permisssions with file explorer and find various permissions like 777 for many folders.
I said to myself, wtf, did I really do that? Reverted to 755 folders and 644 all files, messed up all the installation.
I thought I have a malware, and scanned everything.

Now I tried to start from scratch with a new installation then just change the config.php. But NO, it's the same problem.
And I noticed that non-standard permissions are set even for a fresh install. Is this the new trend for security, 777 permissions?

Comments

• GermontGermont New
    edited March 2018

This is the message loaded when I try to access right dashboard section.

**Something has gone wrong.** We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now. Please check back in a little while
  • GermontGermont New
    edited March 2018

This is displayed when I click the right dashboard area.

Something has gone wrong.
    We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while.

These are the errors displayed with debug set TRUE.

#0 /home/myaccount/public_html/subdomain_folder/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(833): SetupController->index()
    #1 /home/myaccount/public_html/subdomain_folder/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(262): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController(Object(Gdn_Request), Array)
    #2 /home/myaccount/public_html/subdomain_folder/index.php(29): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()
    #3 {main}

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Sounds as if you haven't deleted "/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php"

See here: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/250819/#Comment_250819

• This is a fresh install of Vanilla 2.5.1, nothing to upgrade, and no file to delete.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If we are talking of a fresh installation of plain Vanilla and you have problems with only a few routes, check the following:
    PHP and MySQL minimum requirements are met?
    Curl and MB_String extensions installed?
    Alternative htaccess-file:

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
       RewriteEngine On
       # Certain hosts may require the following line.
       # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
       # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
       RewriteBase /
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
       RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

I couldn't think of much more... :-(

• I have those extensions installed for php 7.1, that forum is using.

This is the debug output using the new .htaccess:

The error occurred on or near: /home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/functions.general.php
    3894:         // replace non letter or digits by -
    3895:         $text = preg_replace('/[^\pL\d]+/u', '-', $text);
    3896: 
    3897:         // transliterate
    3898:         $text = iconv('utf-8', 'us-ascii//TRANSLIT', $text);
    3899: 
    3900:         // remove unwanted characters
    3901:         $text = preg_replace('/[^-\w]+/', '', $text);
    3902: 

Backtrace:
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.form.php:786] PHP::slugify();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/applications/dashboard/views/modules/configuration.php:78] Gdn_Form->imageUploadPreview();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.module.php:130] PHP::include();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.module.php:281] Gdn_Module->fetchView();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.module.php:258] Gdn_Module->toString();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/applications/dashboard/views/settings/branding.php:9] Gdn_Module->render();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:707] PHP::include();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1270] Gdn_Controller->fetchView();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:210] Gdn_Controller->xRender();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php:554] Gdn_Pluggable->__call();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:833] SettingsController->branding();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:262] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController();
    [/home/account_2/public_html/forum/index.php:29] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

• I compiled php 7.2 and this time won the jackpot. I am curious about what's the difference between the two, must check the php extensions list. Thank you!

• @Germont said:
    I compiled php 7.2 and this time won the jackpot. I am curious about what's the difference between the two, must check the php extensions list. Thank you!

Maybe you didn't have 'iconv' extension installed on previous version.
    (looking at the code you've posted previously)