Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Installing Vanilla Forums on an Existing Wordpress site (domain.com/forum)

Hi all, new to vanilla. Moved from NodeBB.

I am part way through install, but have a few issues/queries.

1) Is there a way to set the Forum to install on a /forum url? I am worried that if i continue using the domain.com/vanilla-2.5.1/index.php? p=/dashboard/setup, this will remove or damage my existing wordpress site.

2) Before I considered the fact that the Vanilla Forum may overwrite my wordpress site, I clicked continue and received this error.
Unable to copy .htaccess.dist to .htaccess. You may need to manually copy this file.
The connection parameters you specified failed to open a connection to the database. The database reported the following error:
SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused

I am completely new to HTaccess and wondering if there's a guide for this?

• I have created Vanilla Database on PHYMYADMIN
  • My end goal is to have Vanilla running on my wordpress site under a 'forum' page.

Thanks all

Comments

• Options

Oh & One last thing, is the DATABASE HOST the URL of the website, or the Server IP?

• Options

This applies to all frameworks not just vanilla: You cannot run two framework simultaneously in the same folder without the conflict of interest.

A framework cannot (over)write files it don't have permission to, so it is up to you to read up of file access right on unix/linux based systems.

You have a folder called vanilla with the framework in it? If this is the case rename it forum, it is not going to install anything out side of this folder under normal circumstances.

grep is your friend.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

What you want is called embedding . But you need to install vanilla and WP in separate subdirectories. Then you must make sure not to use the same name for the link to the forum on WP.

There is a tutorial you can read.