Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cookies Info Plugin

Hello to all,

Quick question. My vanilla forum is on my main domain I'm living within EU therefore I have to have cookies information on my site.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any plugin suitable for such as issue.
So I thought that might be You Guys know best solution for this problem.
Your help will be much appreciate.

Cheers
Bory

Comments

• rasteronrasteron forum.rastercode.com ✭✭

Maybe you could try this solution from a similar question answered on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/15383222/4397269

In summary, the suggestion is to use jsconnect SSO method with HTTPS
    http://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/vanilla-jsconnect-single-signon-on/

• Hi,

Thank for getting back to me so quickly.
    However I think you did not understand my problem fully.
    I don't need some SSO method with HTTPS or something.
    I trying to find it (and I bet there must be a simple soulution) to just displaying an info for people who has visiting my site.

I mean for example info bar on main page displaying that I'm using cookies nothing more

This is according to EU Law (every website should have this kind of information)

Hope thsi make some more clear

Thanks a lot
    Bory

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@123456ab

You could use the messages option in the Dashboard

Dashboard - Appearance - Messages

Type the message you want, choose where you want it displayed, and make it dismissible.

Registered users can dismiss it, but guests will always see it.

Hey Bory,

Ok understood. I think a simple splash page or regular page with Privacy Policy or Disclaimer will do.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/custompages-plugin

or you can use the built-in message widget as another option: Dashboard -> Appearance -> Messages

• @whu606 said:
    123456ab

Type the message you want, choose where you want it displayed, and make it dismissible.

Registered users can dismiss it, but guests will always see it.

That what I was thinking about, the problem is I want it reserve this kind of messages for more important announcements.

Anyhow to make a message on the bottom of the page which then disapperas itself within a few second?

Cheers
    Bory

@123456ab There's this option to Allow Users to dismiss the message under messages. If you have done some front-end coding, then it would be easy to put some sort of timed "splash page" then place a cookie just to show it once.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited February 2015

As Rasteron says. make it dismissible, and maybe put it in the side panel.

It stays visible to non-members, but members don't have to keep seeing it, so you've fulfilled your duty.

For announcements, why not just make a thread announced, which is kind of what that is for?

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited February 2015
  • Thanks Adrian for an info.

Yes I did, but the thing is because of generated code of this website my vanilla resources will be eaten up what cause site slow down.

So still looking for the best solution :(

Anyway wanna say thanks for all you guys who were willing to help me : BIG CHEERS

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You could try the PrivacyNotice plugin, it adds a link to the menu and a pop up with the notice. You could modify it with some script to show once per session by detecting the vanilla cookie. That way if the person has not deleted their cookies the message does not show over and over.

You can also use an overlay popup with the message and they have to click to see the page again

edited February 2015

I made this quick plugin let me know how it works for you. Likely will need some tweaking. If it is something other might find useful I will upload it.

• Hi vrijvlinder,

This is an awesome popup plugin you were made.
    I'm really appreciate it.
    However I'm looking something similat to this site http://www.digitalspy.co.uk you can see an info bar on the bottom of the site.

Regards
    Bory

Do you mean a FootBox so you can add links to info etc ?

Try The FootBox plugin. You can add simple html and links to your cookie info page.

By the way the CookiePop plugin can be designed so the box appears anywhere you want.

• @whu606 said:
    @123456ab

Sorry for asking... I'm using 2.5.1 and I didn't have an option "Dashboard - Appearance - Messages". Am I too dumb or just blind ?
    Appreciate any help with that !

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@cegv said:

@whu606 said:
    @123456ab

Sorry for asking... I'm using 2.5.1 and I didn't have an option "Dashboard - Appearance - Messages". Am I too dumb or just blind ?
    Appreciate any help with that !

For 2.5 you need to go to the Dashboard, then click on Moderation and then you will find a menu entry Messages. The slug would be "/dashboard/message"

• @R_J said:
    For 2.5 you need to go to the Dashboard, then click on Moderation and then you will find a menu entry Messages. The slug would be "/dashboard/message"

Thank you ver much !!!
    BR,