Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

500 Internal Error on upload

Hi guys,

Getting a 500 Error on upload and unzip on my server, a shared server on HostGator. Tried on subdomain and spare domain, both in /.

Trying to install 2.5.1, running PHP 7.1.4.

.htaccess is:

# Modified
# If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine On
   # Certain hosts may require the following line.
   # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. 
   # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum or whatever name you have given your forum if in a subdirectory)
   RewriteBase /
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
</IfModule>

Seem to be doing everything right but it's just not working. Any ideas?

Comments

• Here's something weird...

2.1.11 seems to work... I will check the others one by one.

• Okay, I went all the way through them all, it seems to have stopped working at vanilla-2.2.1. Im not sure what was changed then, but it may help shed some insight on the problem?

I will try to install vanilla-2.2.1and then upgrade and see if that works.

• Looking at the files between 2.2.1 and 2.3 (which is the first one that doesnt work), I can see on 2.3 all the directories are set to 777, which is probably what is killing it on a shared host.

Why 777 anyway?

• I tried changing all the 777 permissions to 755.

Still not working :( So it wasn't that I guess.... So what else changed from 2.2.1 to 2.3 that could be giving a 500 Internal Error?

• OKAY!

It is definitely a permission error.

I set all files and folders to 755 (even though there was no 777 files or folders left) and NOW it works.

Is leaving them 755 going to cause me any headaches?

• BleistivtBleistivt Moderator

Is leaving them 755 going to cause me any headaches?

It depends on your setup.
    Make sure that file ownership is assigned correctly. Make sure that /cache, /uploads and /conf are writable for the PHP user, which is typically www-data, but may be different if you run PHP via CGI.

See this topic:
    https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/24366/proper-file-management-on-your-server