HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hosting Companies for Vanilla Open Source

Maybe this is the question I should have asked to begin with... lol. Looking to find a hosting company to host my forum on, that meets all the recommended requirements for Vanilla. Any and all recommendations are welcome... Thank you.

Comments

• subdreamersubdreamer San Jose, CA

I've tested it on BlueHost, and it works without any issues. Check out MDD Hosting, too. I use both of them with the latter being my favorite.

• Thanks... will definitely check them out!!

• I put it on Namecheap the other day and it works fine so far. I run it on PHP 7.2.
    It is part of their install script collection, so it was easy to get going.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Tjeef

Welcome to the community.

I'm glad your install went OK, but generally it is NOT recommended to use 3rd party installers.

In particular, make sure you keep up to date with any security updates which Vanilla might issue. 3rd party installers often fail to update these in a timely manner.

• @whu606
    Thanks for the advice. I am new with VF (and also with installations other than WordPress on servers) so I just put it on to check it out in a sandbox installation.
    I am delighted about what I see (so refreshing to see a forum built for the future - with embedding and integration in mind - and not something clunky from the past trying to hang on).

But I wouldn't have found VF if it hadn't been because it is part of their catalog via Softalicious.

But from what you say, sounds like I should learn how to do it from the ground when I set up "the real thing" in my production setup.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Tjeef

I would certainly recommend it. It is really straightforward.

I found Vanilla via an installer as well, so I know they can be useful, but some cause issues post installation, and they all lag behind when it comes to updates.