Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New user registration see an error

Hi

I just installed Vanilla 2.6 and ready to go....

When the new user registers (option 1- Basic), the page at mystic.com/entry/register returns an error saying

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
Please check back in a little while.

Any suggestions to resolve the error ?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2018

@bijumk

Welcome to the community.

If you search 'Something has gone wrong' on here you will find lots of threads explaining how to turn on debug mode.

With that activated, try to register as a user, and you should see a more detailed error message.

If you need more help after that, post the details of the error message on here.

• Hi Dear

Thanks for your quick reply

This is the error message I get after enabling the debug mode

-----------------------------------------------------\

Call to undefined function mb_encode_mimeheader()
    The error occurred on or near: /var/www/html/library/core/class.email.php

371: * @param string $subject The subject of the message.

372: * @return Gdn_Email

373: */

374: public function subject($subject) {

375: $this->PhpMailer->Subject = mb_encode_mimeheader($subject, $this->PhpMailer->CharSet);

376: return $this;

377: }

378:

379: public function addTo($recipientEmail, $recipientName = '') {

Backtrace:

[/var/www/html/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php:4225] Gdn_Email->subject();

[/var/www/html/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php:1554] UserModel->sendWelcomeEmail();

[/var/www/html/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php:1401] EntryController->registerBasic();

[/var/www/html/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:845] EntryController->register();

[/var/www/html/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:274] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController();

[/var/www/html/index.php:29] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

Need Help?

If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.

If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Vanilla Community Forums.
    Additional information for support personnel:

Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.6
    PHP Version: 7.2.5-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
    Referer: http://pscforum.com/entry/register
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
    Request Uri: /entry/register
    Controller: Gdn_Email
    Method: subject

-----------------------------------------------------------\

Waiting for your further guidance

• and the line 375 is given in red colour. Hope that info also helps

From the README:

Our minimum requirements are now:

• PHP 7.0 or newer.
    • PHP extensions mbstring (--enable-mbstring), cURL (--with-curl), and PDO (on by default).
    • To import into Vanilla you need MySQLi (--with-mysqli).
    • To use our social plugins you need OpenSSL.
    • MySQL 5.0 or newer (or Percona/MariaDB equivalent).
    • MySQL strict mode disabled.

I'm not sure, but it looks like you don't have the mbstring enabled.

• Hi

Thanks for your support. The mbstring was not installed, think that was the cause of the error

But still things are not perfect. While a user registers it takes more than 120 seconds to complete the registration, at exact 2 minutes thee captcha expires and asks for the re-verification, then within 2 seconds the verification happens. Still the debug mode enabled, but is not showing any errors

You can test it at www.keralapscforum.com

Thanks for your time and consideration.

You should turn debug to false now.

I don't really know what might be causing the delay.

Try using a web inspector, and check the console for any errors.

• Hi

Cannot find any solution for the problem yet. Still it takes more than 2 minutes, but I seriously doubt its a problem with the recaptcha.,, because the system accepts the registration immediately after the recaptcha shows an error message of expiration. Any clues ?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I've registered rj1, rj2 and rj3 and you can delete those users.

In fact it is only the post process which takes exactly 2.0 minutes. When registering the third user, I simply canceled the action after 5 seconds and the user was created nevertheless. Therefore I would bet that sending the mail to the user is what takes so long.

You should check your mail settings. I would recomment configuring an external service like e.g. SparkPost

• Thanks.. R_J for your valuable consideration of the issue...

At last you nailed it... The problem was with the email system... I registered with an external service and now it works !!!

Thanks again