Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

/dashboard/setup redirect loop [SOLUTION]

donovanbdonovanb
edited June 2018 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm posting this here to help others.

The .htaccess file is botched in the 2.6 download. Maybe it isn't for some, but for some it is. I tried several versions, reinstalling, etc etc.. and the only thing that worked was an old post by @vrijvlinder of an older .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c> RewriteEngine On # Certain hosts may require the following line. # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /. # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum) RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L] </IfModule>

Hope this helps someone not spend an entire day on a redirect problem. :anguished:

Now.. if someone could just tell me how to format code correctly on this forum :anguished:

:anguished::anguished:

^ just for good measure.

Donovan

Comments

• donovanbdonovanb
    edited June 2018

Testing further, I added back one component at a time, and the offending code in the original .htaccess is somewhere in:

####
        # Redirect any non existing file/directory to /index.php
        ####
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule (.*) index.php [E=X_REWRITE:1,E=X_PATH_INFO:/$1,L]

####
        # Add the proper X_REWRITE server variable for rewritten requests.
        ####
        RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_X_REWRITE} .+
        RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_X_PATH_INFO} (.+)
        RewriteRule ^index\.php - [E=X_REWRITE:1,E=!REDIRECT_X_REWRITE,E=X_PATH_INFO:%1,E=!REDIRECT_X_PATH_INFO,L]

Donovan