Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Version 2.0.18.8 Missing Messages

Hi there,

I've been using Version 2.0.18.8 for a while now and all of a sudden the message content is not displaying on the forum. It is there as if I edit it I can see the original content.

Can annoy suggest what might have affected this?

Cheers

Dave Emsley

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2018

If you are a little bit more descriptive with your question those volunteering their time would be more inclined to help. The more information and the more context the better. Images and links.

I can guess what you mean, but I shouldn't have to. The main thing that uses the term "messages" is the conversation app which is like a private message feature. Or are you talking about the message feature in the dashboard?

Even if people know what you mean without out context they still might not be able to answer. It might be a styling issue, in which case it could be hidden and not in view.

grep is your friend.

• Cheers for the response. Within the forum post looks like this:

On inspecting the DOM I find that the location I expect the content to be is completely empty - ie it isn't being hidden by css it simply says:
    <div class="Message">
    </div>

If I edit the post it looks like this:

So I can see it is within the system and it exists within the database but doesn't display.

Cheers

Dave

• 2.0.18.8 should be upgraded anyway, becuase of security holes.

grep is your friend.

• Hi, I am aware of that and I'm in the process of trying to do that but with limited results. I'm getting errors which say:

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.
    Please check back in a little while.

when I go to some discussions but not others. The images I would expect to be there are not there on the upgraded version.

Cheers

Dave

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2018

it is likely some kind of view override issue with the formatting or the content is being removed on the client side through javascript.

View override in themes make upgrading harder, becuase they become outdated fast.

If the format of the message lead to the formatting failing or some plugin may do pre/post formatting which can also fail. But it would be rare that is outputs nothing.

You editor is also legacy.

If it is just comment an not the opening discussion and you consistently use the same formatter I wouldn't suspect a formatting issue.

If it is a view override you can test his by switch the theme, you can also disable addons to test JavaScript conflicts.

grep is your friend.

• I think you shoudl focus on working through the upgrading issue, as this could be wasted effort.

grep is your friend.

• I am actually in the same boat as you. Currently running 2.0.18.1, and a lot of messages have disappeared, but if i edit the message, all of the information is there. I'm also having trouble upgrading to a newer version, and always get the "something went wrong" message. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

"Something has gone wrong" will be replaced with a more helpful error message if you add $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = true; to your /conf/config.php

• Sorry, i'm not trying to hijack your thread, but maybe it can help us both.

R_J, this is the error message I got when I tried:

The error occurred on or near: /home/******/public_html/forum/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php

1747: // Replace permissions with those of the ConfirmEmailRole

1748: $confirmEmailRoleID = RoleModel::getDefaultRoles(RoleModel::TYPE_UNCONFIRMED);

1749:

1750: if (!is_array($confirmEmailRoleID) || count($confirmEmailRoleID) == 0) {

1751: throw new Exception(sprintf(t('No role configured with a type of "%s".'), RoleModel::TYPE_UNCONFIRMED), 400);

1752: }

1753:

1754: $roleModel = new RoleModel();

1755: $permissionsModel = new Vanilla\Permissions();

Backtrace:

[/home/******/public_html/forum/library/core/class.session.php:440] UserModel->getSession();

[/home/******/public_html/forum/library/core/class.auth.php:59] Gdn_Session->start();

[/home/******/public_html/forum/bootstrap.php:346] Gdn_Auth->startAuthenticator();

[/home/******/public_html/forum/index.php:22] PHP::require_once();

Any idea what it means? Thanks!

• Hijack away ;-)

Everything provides clues. That said I have junked the 2.0.18 and got a 2.3.1 upgrade to work...eventually.

• Hijack away ;-)

Everything provides clues. That said I have junked the 2.0.18 and got a 2.3.1 upgrade to work...eventually.

@StaticCory said:
    Sorry, i'm not trying to hijack your thread, but maybe it can help us both.

R_J, this is the error message I got when I tried:

The error occurred on or near: /home/******/public_html/forum/applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php

1747: // Replace permissions with those of the ConfirmEmailRole

1748: $confirmEmailRoleID = RoleModel::getDefaultRoles(RoleModel::TYPE_UNCONFIRMED);

1749:

1750: if (!is_array($confirmEmailRoleID) || count($confirmEmailRoleID) == 0) {

1751: throw new Exception(sprintf(t('No role configured with a type of "%s".'), RoleModel::TYPE_UNCONFIRMED), 400);

Can you see yourforum.com/dashboard/role? Vanilla has introduced a new role concept some versions ago and you need to assign role types to your current roles. The error message tells you, that by now Vanilla in't able to determine which role should apply to unconfirmed users.
    While you are doing so, look at each of your roles and assign a "role type" to them

• edited June 2018

@R_J

Well, When I first install the new forum, I can access everything, including that page. But when I edit conf.php to point to the "old" db, I can't access anything, and everything says "something went wrong". Should I edit the roles before pointing the db?

I'm attempting to do that now, but when I click any of the roles, and hit "save" after, i'm hit with this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /******/role/edit/2 on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I read in another thread, that maybe I can add every table from my old db except GDN_Permission and GDN_Role, do you think that would work? Thanks

@StaticCory Pointing the way to the old database is what you have to do. And even if there are errors, you have to continue going this way.
    The error you are describing is because the table GDN_Role has no values in the column Type and you have to change this. There are several approaches, and copying tables from a clean installation to your old installation might work, but in my opinion it is not the best idea. If you have any other custom roles you will destroy that information and you would have to work over permissions and user roles tables, too.

Look at this picture which shows values from a clean installation:

If you know how to (e.g. with PHPMyAdmin), you can simply edit the Type field in your database according to the screenshot. If you have assigned a Type to each role, you can move on and see if there are additional things which also need to be fixed.

• @R_J

This is what the GDN_Role currently looks like in my old db (the one i'm trying to point to).
    I removed the descriptions, just to make it easier to paste here. There isn't a "type" field for me, so I have no idea what to do. The "fresh" installation GDN_Role DOES have a type column, but it looks exactly like your screenshot, so I don't know what to change. Thanks!

RoleID----Name----Description----Sort----Deletable----CanSession
    --2------Guest-------------------1--------0------------0
    --4------Applicant----------------2--------0------------1
    --8------Member-----------------3--------1------------1
    --32----Moderator----------------4--------1------------1
    --16----Administrator-------------5--------1------------1
    --3-----Confirm Email-------------6--------1------------1

After pointing to the old db make some calls to yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update and
    yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/structure
    That should update the db structure

• edited June 2018

@R_J

That's the issue i'm having. After I point the db, and visit yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/update and yourforum.com/index.php?p=/utility/structure, it says something went wrong, no matter how many times I try it. When I point the db to the old one, the only thing I have to change is this:

// Database
    $Configuration['Database']['Name'] = '';
    $Configuration['Database']['Host'] = 'localhost';
    $Configuration['Database']['User'] = '';
    $Configuration['Database']['Password'] = '';

correct? I've also tried literally copying my whole entire old conf.php (using using the correct db info of course), just to see if it would work, but I just got a white screen.

I've also uploaded my "uploads" folder, from my old directory to the new one, before running /utility/update and /utility/structure, if that makes a difference.

Then you really might need to copy the Role table from the new db to the old one

• edited June 2018

@R_J

YES! we're getting somewhere now. So, I did that, I dropped those two tables, and replaced them with the ones from the fresh install. /utility/structure said that I do not have permission to do this. But when I ran utility/update, it took a while, but it said it was successful, and now I see all of my threads.

But here's the odd thing. After doing the update, It actually signed me in as one of my other users, so then I tried to log in using my own credentials, and it said my password was wrong (I know it's the correct password, because I used it immediately after on my old forum, to make sure). I then did a password reset, and i'm now in. But i'm wondering if maybe everybody elses passwords have been messed up now. Maybe it's because it's not letting me do /utility/structure?

• edited June 2018

Edit:

After signing back into my own account, I decided to run /utility/structure again, because it would make sense that I would have permission, over the random user I signed in as. And this time it worked! I executed the scan, and it said it was successful. But I'm still wondering if any other users would be affected by the password issue, because that would be a huge issue. any idea? Thanks

@demsley

And an update for you, the message problem is now gone. All of my images are appearing properly, along with the rest of the words. If you are still having that problem, I suggest you update to 2.6, as I think we've figured it out now.