HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can we control email notification according to Tags which are selected for discussions?

I am a new user to Vanilla forum and have two questions mainly. I have googled and gone through most of the discussions in Vanilla forum, but couldn't find an answer to my following questions. Excuse me if these questions are completely nonsensical:

1. Just like category do, can we control email notification according to Tags which are selected for discussions? For example, if I select the tag "System" for a discussion for example, email notification of that discussion should only be delivered to people in a particular group? I should be able to add people who should receicive email notifications of discussion with the Tag named "System". At the same time, members of the other group (or role) should be able to view the discussions and comments in the forum? (At the moment I'm managing it using Roles and Category).

2. Can we add/select Tags for comments/reply of discussions as well? Or is it possible to select a Tag for discussions only?

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Nothing of that can be achieved with some config settings. Both would require a plugin and not trivial ones.

1. Roles and Categories are the way things are set up in Vanilla. What you are thinking of, requires massive implementation work. And to implement view permissions on any other criteria than roles and categories bears the danger to do it wrong it mess everything up. I wouldn't recommend to do so. Notification based on tags would be easier.
    2. Tags are only for discussions. Allowing users to tag comments might not be too hard, but you have to make the interface work with that, too. Links to tags must show discussions and comments and that is only the first thing that comes to my mind.

My personal opinion on that is that being able to tag comments is more confusing than helpful.

• Options

Thank you R_J for the detailed and swift response.

I actually do not want to set permissions according to Tags, but only notifications based on tags. Would that be possible? Secondly, what we would love to have is tagging for comments. If these two can be done, I can control notifications of discussions and comments according to the tags we add.

We can also think about paying for the development and you may of course distribute it with OSS version which will be useful to the public.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@R_J said:
    (...)

1. (...) Notification based on tags would be easier.

I've seen that but misinterpreted it as being only an additional feature, not the main feature.

A plugin which does actions based on tags used in a discussion is easy.
    Writing a plugin which allows group creation and management is more complex, but also not a big thing
    Sending a mail to a group is no complex task either. Sending mails to multiple recipients can become a showstopper.

@R_J said:
    2. Tags are only for discussions. Allowing users to tag comments might not be too hard

Nope, I had a look at the TagModel (the code that handles all interactions concerning tags with the db) and it doesn't seem to be made for being extensible in that way. It is very focused on discussions. Now I wouldn't say anymore that this is easy.

Users can always use #hashtags in a discussion/comment and there is one very clever plugin that adds hashtags to the discussions tags. I think that extending hashtags is a more natural approach than trying to implement tags for comments.

• Options
    x00x00 MVP
    edited July 2018

this fit into "does my [insert unique requirements] exist in the core?" questions. You can ask, but the likely answer is no. Its vanilla not tuti fruti. That is why its extendible/pluggable, that is down to you.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Thanks for the answers.

One more question I have.

Can we include category name in the email notification? Now the link in the email contains, for example:

https://support-forum.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18#Comment_18

it didn't contain the name of the category it belongs. If the category name can be included within this URL or anywhere in the body of the email, that would be helpful.

• Options

Thanks for the answers.

One more question I have.

Can we include category name in the email notification? Now the link in the email contains, for example:

https://support-forum.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/18#Comment_18

it didn't contain the name of the category it belongs. If the category name can be included within this URL or anywhere in the body of the email, that would be helpful.