Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is It Possible To Send A Mass Email To All Users?

I've done a little research and from what I've read, it looks like it's not possible without using a plugin that connects to a third party website. But i'm also unsure if those plugins even work for 2.6. I know that an alternate method would be for me to just extract all of the users emails through phpmyadmin or something similar, and send out a mass email using a regular email client, but I was just wondering if it can be done through vanilla?

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

Currently not in the core and I don‘t know of a plugin doing that. A plugin like that would need to ensure sequential mailing as most servers would cap mailing at 300, 500 or another number of E-Mails per 15 minutes (example).

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • @phreak

Thanks! I guess i'll attempt to extract all of the emails using phpmyadmin, and email normally.

• Just an update. I decided to do a little research, and found a way to extract the email from phpmyadmin, very easily. I went to GDN_User, hit SQL tab at the top, and changed

SELECT * FROM GDN_User WHERE 1

to

SELECT Email FROM GDN_User WHERE 1

and I hit "go".

Everything turned out great, and the email list appeared exactly how I wanted it. I was just wondering if this was the proper way to do this, and If anything bad will come as a result. A query is just a question, so I assume it didn't actually "change" anything, but i'd just like to confirm that, anybody have any idea?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    edited July 2018

That query is fine and will do no harm, but it can be shortened. If your query should show all rows, without any restrictions, there is no need for the "where" part.

But I guess you do not want the mail address of deleted users and maybe also not the banned users.
    WHERE Deleted = 0 AND Banned = 0

• @StaticCory seems good

• @R_J @jenis

Thanks guys. R_J, right when I clicked sql, that line was already there, so i basically just inserted "email" to replace the asterisk. The result was just the emails, nothing else. It did include deleted users and banned users, but I don't have too many, so it wasn't an issue. But now I know for next time, that it can be even shorter, thanks!