Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Roles and Permissions - ordering and nitty gritty

Hello, in the back-end, you can order your Roles. Is that just for your own benefit?... or is there functionality to this?

For example, I had an error in one of my forums, where I'm using SSO and assigning roles. When there wasn't a role match, it seemed like Vanilla assigned the role of that person from the top of the list.

I made a lot of changes, so I'm not exactly sure if changing the order is the thing that fixed it, but it is fixed now.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Neither in RoleModel nor in PermissionModel I can see any hint on a meaning of the sort order. Therefore I'd say that it's merely for optical reasons in the dashboard.
    To my understanding a meaningful order would be a ranking and rankings are no native feature of Vanilla.

There is a ranking in regards to which role can assign which roles, but that is solved with a property of the RoleModel.

Since roles are sorted by that criteria, it might be absolutely possible that in case of any misbehavior simply the first role in the result set is given back, but that would be a misbehavior anyway...

• Thx R_J. On further look, my Role's are not perfect. Noting your comments here, I'm going to start another thread, so I don't muddy up this answer.