Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Customizing text version of email notifications in Vanilla 2.3

We do not want to use HTML emails, but I cannot find out how to customize the text version of email notifications. The locale.php method doesn't seem to work anymore, and the only place I can see to customize the email is in email-basic.tpl, but that is not used by the text emails. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options

Unfortunately the switch toward push button html messages introduced questionable method such as string concatenation. Where as before it was more rational (and html email weren't impossible either).

Although there are technically templates, I found them unsatisfactory for this reason and also in mixed content scenario (which is typical for html email), the text version make little sense as element such as the button don't convert well into text.

The most effective way I found is overriding the underling template class class and improving it you can output what you want in the order you want, but this is challenging for those that don't have the necessary skills.

So in short it is possible, but for seem reason in their haste provide an easy html solution they didn't think what effect it would have on text emails, and the solution is kind of an odd hybrid. I was shocked the the concatenation, becuase they do have templates that variable yield to.

I agree that HTML email is something to be avoided in general. There is no standard for it, in ad different client are going to displaying to variant degrees. How woudl you test all the clients, and scenarios, it is waste of time. You have to consider that email messages are often threaded in web client, you want to keep the formatting to a minimum (bold, italic, underline, etc), or it could be very confusing or unusable for the user.

grep is your friend.

• Options

Can you tell me which class has the templating for text emails?

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I just noticed the category and the title: if you are using Vanilla 2.3 you should immediately update! As you can see from the message at the top of the page, there are public known security issues. Therefore you put all the data of your users in danger.

And another consequence is, that at least I am not able to help you, because I do not have that version accessible any more.