Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

ReCaptcha problem with older Vanilla install

I'm currently running Vanilla 2.2, but am not able to upgrade to the latest/greatest Vanilla because my hosting provider still only provides for PHP 5.5 and no higher. Ridiculous, I know.

I now have a problem where the embedded ReCaptcha is not working:

I've attempted to go to the URL specified to "upgrade", but I do not see how to; my account on the Recaptcha site says I'm on "v2", and my public and private keys are correctly entered in the Vanilla Settings/Registration area.

Suggestion on how to fix, absent upgrading to a version of Vanilla that requires PHP greater than v5.5?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Options

is that a plugin? Worst case I suppose is to use something like 'pockets' and to add your own recaptcha scripts.

• Options
    RiverRiver MVP
    edited September 2018

@dnigrin said:
    I'm currently running Vanilla 2.2, but am not able to upgrade to the latest/greatest Vanilla because my hosting provider still only provides for PHP 5.5 and no higher. Ridiculous, I know.

It ridiculous that you stick with a php version that no longer has security upgrades, and its ridiculous you feel that you don't mind putting your users at risk with an insecure version of vanilla that is outdated as well.

Suggestion on how to fix, absent upgrading to a version of Vanilla that requires PHP greater than v5.5?

If you prefer to run an insecure web site and stick with old version of vanilla...

You could always switch to another registration method without recaptcha if no one provides an answer that you are hoping for....

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin

and search for discussion on how to turn off recaptcha on signin in older vanilla versions

probably the best solution is switch providers and run current versions.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• Options

@donovanb said:
    is that a plugin? Worst case I suppose is to use something like 'pockets' and to add your own recaptcha scripts.

It's not a plugin, it is built in functionality in 2.2. Thanks re: pockets, didn't know about that. But that said, see below.

@River said:
    It ridiculous that you stick with a php version that no longer has security upgrades, and its ridiculous you feel that you don't mind putting your users at risk with an insecure version of vanilla that is outdated as well.

Thanks - I spared everyone the reasons of why I'm stuck in the situation I'm in, but your points are well-taken.

You could always switch to another registration method without recaptcha if no one provides an answer that you are hoping for....

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/addregistrationquestion-plugin

and search for discussion on how to turn off recaptcha on signin in older vanilla versions

Thanks - an older version of addregistrationquestion seems to do the trick.

probably the best solution is switch providers and run current versions.

That's obviously what I'm planning on, just needed an interim solution for now.

Thanks to you both!