Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Feed discussions plugin seemingly not working

Plugin settings interface not visible after update to 2.5.1

Comments

• if it is not a specific issue pertaining to your own environment, it could be a compatibility issue or it could be staff doesn't test their own plugins with each release.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/35722/for-plugin-authors-changes-of-interest-in-version-2-5

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Have you tried the FeedDiscussionsPlus instead?

• IonmarcuIonmarcu Bucharest

Thank you for your feedback, I hope Vanilla staff will fix this plugin soon. I tried also FeedDiscussionsPlus is ok but I am not that really pleased with the result... I get sort of error message in every post created from rss: _Imported from a malfunctioning feed________

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@Ionmarcu - many feeds are not conforming to the rss specifications. There may be nothing wrong with the Feeddiscussion plugin. That's why I provided the feed validation function in the new plugin.

Does the feed validator say that your feed is valid?
    Can you tell me what's the feed''s url?

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

@Ionmarcu I am having the same issue.

Please provide the feed url

@websfere , @Ionmarcu : (1)Please provide feed url, (2) please go to the feed definition and resave it.

• So, this plugin says "1 feed is ready for import" where I can find it?

Why is it ready for me and not posting by itself :/

Some screen shots would really help to support you... Without screen shots am just guessing -- that you haven't clicked on the "Readme" button to see how this works.

"Ready for import" means that at least one of your defined feeds will be imported. When is depending on your global options. If the "User Activated" option is set, then the first time any user (you included) go to look at a discussion (any will do), the feed will be imported.

Alternatively, as an administrator you can click on the "Check Active Feeds Now" to initiate the import.

Hope this helps.

• Please see the screenshot

I read the Readme file but it is not working.

OK, we're getting somewhere. Here are few suggestions to help debug the issue:
    1. Change the 1-minute frequency to "manual" (until the issue is resolved)
    2. Turn on the detail reporting option in the global setting
    3. right click on the "Check Active Feeds Now" and select "Open Link in a new tab" (or whatever is the description for that option in your browser).
    4. Let me know what the report shows.

Separately, it would be intresting to check whether the issue is related to that specific feed or other feeds. Can you try this feed instead: https://open.vanillaforums.com/categories/off-topic/feed.rss

Last but not least, if you will post the url of your feed I can try it on my test system.

• Perfect, it works :+1:

Thank you

Great, but now I am curious -- what went wrongin the first place?

• It could be the feed url?

Yes, many feeds do not conform to the standards. The plugin tries to overcome some of the errors in such feeds, but that can go so far.

I assume the test feed worked, right?

• Yes the test feed worked without issues.