Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Noob Question about styling

I have a client who needs a forum for their site and the CMS I use has SSO plugin that works with Vanilla so this is my first choice. I do however have questions about styling the forums.

How easy is it to update CSS. Can these changes be done in git or are you required to update via the forum CP. Ideally I can set up a custom CSS file that I can build with sass/gulp.

Is the set up process strait forward?Are there any gotchas to be aware of? Is it easy to work with locally (Mamp Pro) and push changes to a live site (likely on Forge/Digital Ocean)?

Comments

• Options
    createseancreatesean Toronto New

The docs are not very encouraging. I'm a windows user and the first paragraph on this page is not friendly:

After you’ve got your tools ready, here’s how to set some of them up to work together nicely. We assume you’re using MacOS. This is all pretty useless if you’re not.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2018

createsean

Styling is extremely simple.

For small changes, you can use the CSSedit plugin:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/cssedit-plugin

For wider ranging changes, you are probably better creating your own theme.

Docs are here: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/addons/theme-quickstart/

At first glance, it can look like it is a lot of work, but it really isn't.

There are some issues with using MAMP/XAMPP (I've replied in your other thread) but you can get tit working to test most things.

• Options
    createseancreatesean Toronto New

@whu606 Thank you. will check out the css edit plugin and likely be creating a whole theme.