Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is it possible to style or brand the notification email?

I haven't seen anything like that but it would be nice to configure the email notification.
With configuration I mean

• Define the content of the email based on a template
  • Define the style and formatting of the email (e.g., HTML email)

Anything like that possible? If so is it possible for the self-hosted open source version as well?

Best Answer

Answers

• There you can only change colors. How about the text? add, replace? Modify the HTML template...

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2018

Be careful with html email.

Email isn't a good medium for html, there isn't a standard for html in emails. Clients free to do what they like.

Consider that many people use web mail with threaded messages.These environment aren't going to allow every style or tag to be applied otherwise it would mess up the UX of that environment, their branding, and could potentially be a security risk.

If you are going to use html are all in email stick to paragraphs, bold, etc simple stuff.

Html emails with linked images, are generally given a warning, and the images not rendered without permission due to privacy.

Embedded images take up resource, and can be considered spamy.

grep is your friend.

• K17K17 Français / French Paris, France ✭✭✭

@piXelicidio In Vanilla you cannot much edit Html Emails.
    The html in email should stay as simple as possible. That's why.
    You can change the way texts are written in emails by overrinding your local with a conf/locale.php file and colors with the settings in the dashboards.

• @K17 said:
    @piXelicidio In Vanilla you cannot much edit Html Emails.
    The html in email should stay as simple as possible. That's why.
    You can change the way texts are written in emails by overrinding your local with a conf/locale.php file and colors with the settings in the dashboards.

The html solution provided is not great. For one it handles mixed content badly, and the conversion to text makes no sense, becuase striping the tags, makes for a very odd text massage.

So actually you are better overriding the class and simplifying the html further, or just reverting to text only.

grep is your friend.

@x00 Myself I never had problems with any mail service provider, I've tried many and everything was fine.

• @K17 said:

Yes that's what I've read around but I don't find clear and step by step information of how to do that. And when I followed the most complete quide I could find, then the texts I found in the locale.php file are not the same that are sent by email. Then modifing it does nothing in the last version of Vanilla.

I heard too that the email strings are hardcoded after the incluson of html feature.

• @K17 said:
    @x00 Myself I never had problems with any mail service provider, I've tried many and everything was fine.

You are not understanding.

Just becuase you observe something personally doesn't make it a good general case. I was pointing out the limitations with html emails.

If you turn your email preference to text only you will see a problem. The email notification don't read well in text only. So if that was your preference before this feature came about, there was an obvious change for the worse.

When it was locale based, there was nothign stopping html based emails.

grep is your friend.

edited November 2018

You don't understand what I'm trying to explain. New emails are better at some points but I just gonna leave the discussion here because it seems we will never agree... Maybe my limitations in english are causing this...