Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Update 2.0.18.4 to 2.6.4

Hi folks,

I "inherited" a community running on Vanilla 2.0.18.4 (not knowing about Vanilla to that point). Registration of new users is broken since reCaptcha v1 does not work any more.

My goal is to update to the latest Vanilla version (and get rid of reCaptcha v1). Is there a preferred way to go?

Thanks a lot
smee

Comments

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Make a backup, tell your community about an upcoming downtime and get started!

Before you do anything, find put about which plugins are needed. Maybe some of them will not work any more. Best thing would be to start without any plugins enabled and with the default theme.

Read about similar questions which have been asked in the last weeks.
    Maybe search for "htmlawed", which is a plugin that needs to be deleted during the update process.

• Options
    phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@smee: Definitly work the update on a full clone of your file-system and your forum database. The changes between these versions are not minor and you'll very likely run into a problem. I have done several updates from 2.0 > 2.X and something always breaks. It takes some hours extra to perform this test update but it will likely safe you a lot of headache and time later.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla