HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bootstrap theme CSS editing not working [RESOLVED]

First post, sorry if I posted this to the wrong section. I am not sure how categories go on this forum so I just decided to post here (wherever "here" might be).

I am using Bootstrap-theme for Vanilla and XAMPP to test my setup. Latest Vanilla forum build.
https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/bootstrap-theme

Every other theme I edit CSS file the effects are immediate to the localhost/vanilla/ , but with Bootstrap no matter what edits I do it doesn't show on the page itself. I believe I am editing the correct file, Chrome developer console atleast claims so. I have tried updating ThemeInfo version number and deleting all cachefiles, but it has no effect.

Editing certain theme options (lets say Superhero) CSS does nothing when I update the page and stopping and starting apache in XAMPP does nothing either. However if I delete that superhero's CSS the site stops working so it can't be a wrong file, can it?

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Venomlemon

Welcome to the community.

Couple of quick things you can check:

This would happen if you had copied a .tpl file as a backup, and kept it in the themes folder.

Try the CSSEdit plugin, and see if the changes are accepted.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/cssedit-plugin

If they aren't, then there is almost certainly a cache issue somewhere.

Try loading your page via the private/incognito option of your browser.

• edited November 2018

Heyas thanks for getting back at me. CSSEdit plugin did change theme, hmmmmm. Private/Incognito didn't help.
    The original CSS-theme was minified and I did deminify it to be able to work upon it, but I don't think it should affect the theme. It also seems that LESS-file imports that theme's specific CSS-file somehow... could it be related to that? I don't personally know LESS.

• There is no .tpl -file in root either...

• Here's also the path to css-files I am trying to edit.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The path is correct. Are you sure that your css selector was correct? Maybe do something dramatical and replace the complete content of a file with something like div {border: 5px solid green} to ensure that the problem is the file and not the css rule.

• Well yeah. I placed that css into custom_superhero. Reload the page. Nothing changes.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Congratulations! You now know that you have a browser caching issue! Your server doesn't provide that file any more and your browser still shows information that isn't stored on the server => browser caching issue.

Try clearing cache (again), using private mode (again) and maybe another browser.

• Uh to my shame the solution was as simple as clearing the Chrome browsers' cache. So a simple CTRL + F5 sufficed. DOH. Sorry for taking your time with such a noobish thing =). Though I hope someone wrestling with a same issue sometimes finds this post.