Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

People can't register

edited January 2019 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello. I've installed vanilla forums on my website. It seems to work just fine apart 1 quite big thing.
People can't register. After typing in all required info and passing the captcha, they are greeted by this page. I just can't figure out how to fix it. Using vanilla 2.6.4. Can anyone help?

Comments

• You'll need to enable debug mode through your config. $Configuration['Debug'] = true; in order to find what went wrong (assuming your logs aren't enabled).

You should probably put your forums under maintenance mode so users won't see the error output.

• edited January 2019

I kind-of fixed it, but not really. The first issue was that I had to install php-curl. That made registration actually work, but an error screen still appears.
    This time it's an issue with phpmailer. The local SMTP server is not working, so emails can't be sent. I have disabled email verification (bad idea, I know), but the error still appears (even though registration appears to work). How can I fix this?
    EDIT: I also get a 'Gdn_PluginManager::registerHandler is deprecated.' warning

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If you require mail verification or not is totally up to you. If you do not want to use your users mail addresses for marketing or other business purposes, you really do not need them.
    But your users need to be able to receive mails for password rests or notifications.

You do not need to run a local SMTP server. PHP can send mails on its own, but sometimes such mails are seen as spam.

It's more reliable to use a professional service like SparkPost, SendGrid, Mailgun - just to name a few.

And you do not have to think about warnings like that registerHandler deprecation warning. That's more of a hint for developers.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@BarkingDog said:
    I kind-of fixed it, but not really. The first issue was that I had to install php-curl. That made registration actually work, but an error screen still appears.

The workflow for this should be a little better with the upcoming 2.8 release. We've recently merged in some code from @R_J that will provide better error messages when required PHP extensions are not installed.

• PHP can send mails on its own, but sometimes such mails are seen as spam.

When I try to send a test email, I get a ""Call to undefined function mb_encode_mimeheader()" LOCATION: /var/www/html/library/core/class.email.php" error. Am I missing any more extensions? I think there should be a list of extensions to install that I just didn't see. Also, do I need a MX record?

No mx record needed, but you need to have the php mb_string extension

• Hi. I've installed the mb_string extension. There are no errors anymore, but no emails are getting sent. I've checked spam too.

P.S. avatar uploads randomly broke too. All I've changed is install curl and mb_string, but after clicking "Change picture" it just keeps on loading forever.

"loading forever" can be a JavaScript error. open the JavaScript console and see if you can find an error there when you upload the avatar

• Looks like the issue was caused by the "Buttonbar" plugin. Disabling it fixed the issue.
    The emails are still not working for some reason.

• There should really be some kind of php module checker in the installer. I was tripped up by this multiple times when trying out vanilla forums.

Many plugins also create these kinds of issues and it takes someone with more experience than your average web admin to hunt down and identify.

Of course, you cannot rely on extension developers to specify the php modules they use. But the installer needs to check for the existence of the most common modules used, IE curl, GD, bcmath, etc.