Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

forum problem - guest can't see discussions any more

Hello,

I kindly request your help with the following problem:

I am running a vanilla forum for about 2 years ( https://videochatforums.ro ). All went just fine, untill October or November last year. Since then, guests can't see discussions anymore (a message appears saying "there are no discussions in this board"). They can't see discussions even if they register as members.... here there is a problem too...registering user emails is not working). I think this problem appeared when vanilla got out the last update, or the security update (wich i did not make). Right now, my Vanilla version is 2.3.1

Oh, i forgot to mention.. if i login into my account, all the discussions appear again. I think old users they can see the forum discussions only if they log in, but new members cannot see them.

It's kind of a big problem for me , because since this problem, my website traffic went down like crazy...even if someone finds my site in google, all he sees is an empty forum. Can u please help?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There have been similar problems for people who were using PHP7.0

What PHP version are you using?

• 7.2.4 as i recall

• What version solves this problem?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

AfaIk, anything above 7.0.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Yes, the description fits to those who had PHP7.0 but if that's not your problem, I do not know what is going on.

You've said "I think this problem appeared when vanilla got out the last update, or the security update (wich i did not make)."

Based on that I personally will not spent time on thinking about your problem: if you do not make security updates, it could easily be that someone has hacked your forum (though I think it wouldn't show up like that). Furthermore if you are the keeper of private data and do not care about security, it's totally deserved that your traffic goes down.

It's like crossing the street when the traffic light is red and complaining about crossing cars...

• It's not that i dont care..i have a buyed theme installed and i was afraid that doing the update, my site wont work anymore because of the theme. I will talk with my webhoster and try swiching to another php version and get back to u after

• I can confirm that switching from php 7.0 to php 7.2 (from cpanel multi php manager) solved the problem for me. Thank you