Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Fresh install - same server

Hello.

I would like to install a fresh version of Vanilla on a server where I already have an old install of Vanilla.

I would like to do this to clean up all the custom css/html and start fresh.

I would like to link this new installation to my existing Vanilla database to keep all the threads/users/etc.

The problem is: When I upload the fresh Vanilla to a new folder it just turns into a non-working version of my old forum. There is no config.php in the /conf/ folder and I assume it's using the "old" config file.

Hopefully I explained this well enough. Any tips?

Comments

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭

You can upgrade your old forum and database. After that, delete all files, make a fresh install with a new database and update config.php with your old database credentials.

• So there is no way I can have a clean install linked up with the database without deleting the "old" forum first?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You can surely have that. Your problem really starts here:

The problem is: When I upload the fresh Vanilla to a new folder it just turns into a non-working version of my old forum. There is no config.php in the /conf/ folder and I assume it's using the "old" config file.

If your forum by now is in the subfolder "public_html/forum" and you have created a new folder that you have called "public_html/vanilla28", then you should see the installation page when you go to example.com/vanilla28

Unless you cannot find out why this is not the case, your only option would be to do an upgrade (which would be okay, too)

When starting from a completely new installation, you will have to go through all of the settings in the dashboard by the way. SMTP server settings, layout settings and mostly everything that you have configured in the dashboard is stored in the config.php of your current forum.