Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Upgrade from 2.5.1 to 2.8 on Feb 6th

Am I likely to have any issues upgrading directly from ver 2.5.1 to ver 2.8 when it's released?

Comments

• @avanAm I likely to have any issues upgrading directly from ver 2.5.1 to ver 2.8 when it's released?

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited January 2019

It was impossible to edit or add to the other comment since rich test editori will not let me quote or add a proper mention.

Regarding your upgrade, it you are not comfortable with upgrades and debugging or downtime, you might want to wait a day or two after release of new version.  But if you don't mind working through issues read the release not for 2.6 and 2.8 and follow all the steps and make sure you fulfill the requirements regarding php version, etc.   No one can possibly know what plugins you have so if you have no plugins enabled you might have a good chance of no problems if you follow release notes and istructions and there are no glitches in release. 

Always safer to create a test site and test first, instead of going live.

As far as 2.8 now there are glitches in the editor as evidenced here that will most likely be fixed but editors always provide need for long term fixes and glitches.

here https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/36260/vanilla-2-6-is-here-includes-security-fixes

help https://open.vanillaforums.com/categories/blog

as of today links don't working rich text editor if they are on their own line without text I had to preface both links with help or here or some other word.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@River There is currently a few known issues with quotes and mentions on rich editor that are already fixed on our master branch. They will be resolved with the final release.

This will also be the first official release of Rich Editor, and although it will be the default, we will not be automatically changing the editor on existing installations. So in @avantime4mike's case I don't Rich Editor will have any affect on his upgrade.

• OK, I waited a week and don't see any horror stories, quite the opposite in fact so think I'll go ahead and upgrade.