Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Rich Editor format in database

Is that okay the new Rich editor storing comments in DB in strange style?

So, 5 rows paragraph posted as comment becomes a 2000 sybols stored in table?

Comments

• Moreover, looks Vanilla is living own life. Without my authorization it changes a default format from html to rich. Huh?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Looks like you are talking unicode in your forum: 🦄🐫🎁📞🛒🤡

It is an intention that a post is saved as json, but I'm not sure that it is know that some languages will blow up like that...

The format is changed from html to Rich by the Rich Editor as it has been changed from whatever to "WYSIWYG" by the Advanced Editor. Nothing to really worry about: if you want to allow your users to write HTML tags, you need another editor. If you want nice formatting options with the Rich Editor, format will become "Rich".

Personally I dislike that very much, but since Vanilla is able to handle that format (and Vanilla is responsible for that), there is no need to work through the database manually.

• I can tell my feelings, the whole internet people is only starts to learn that html tags and now look Vanilla launching a rocket to deep space :D. Exactly this case for me it seems still needs a work on it. Specially some mechanic telling the admin a inside, system CHANGES.

Like, hey, admin, look here I changed your default input format and now your DB size will increase a 5 times more. And be ready for other surprises.

Hey, admin, I changed your config.php file without your autorization!

• As an Editor integrator myself, storing that format in the DB could (will) be disastrous in future. Even right now switching editors is futile because other editors cannot edit posts that already have that Rich Format. I think there should be a HUGE caveat telling people what they are getting into, and certainly should not be defaulted without installation/upgrade user permission.

@noszone see https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/255744/#Comment_255744

Next patch will remove some of that default stuff hopefully.