Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Recent Discussions Link has backslash in it (index.php?p=/\discussions)

Hi,

I've just upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.8.1. I followed the instructions regarding the upgrade, files to delete etc.

I have the issue (and this was in place before upgrade I think) where the RecentDiscussions link contains a backslash:

index.php?p=/\discussions

I also, as you can see, still have the issue of using ?p= links. I tried to follow the steps to ensure that pretty URLs are used, but it doesn't seem to have taken effect.

I should note this is hosted in IIS.

Appreciate any assistance that people can give!

Cheers.

Comments

• hynseyhynsey New
    edited March 2019

OK, so a bit of progress. I added this line to the config.php file (even though the upgrade instructions said to remove if present, which it wasn't):

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true;

No all urls are pretty and nice, except the recent discussions link links to https://discussions . All other links appear fine.

On IIS, I have this web.config entry for url rewrites:

<rewrite>
         <rules>		  
          <rule name="Vanilla Rule 1" stopProcessing="true">
           <match url="^(.*)$" ignoreCase="false" />
           <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll">
            <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
            <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" ignoreCase="false" negate="true" />
           </conditions>
           <action type="Rewrite" url="index.php\?p={R:1}" appendQueryString="true" />
          </rule>
         </rules>
        </rewrite>

Anyone got any ideas? :)

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited March 2019

I'm running a Vanilla 2.8.1 forum on IIS as well. See a post I recently wrote about my initial setup here: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/256031/#Comment_256031

Here is the rewrite rule I use for routing to index.php:

<rewrite>
       <rules>
          <rule name="Vanilla route controllers to index.php">
             <match url=".*" />
             <conditions>
                <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsDirectory" negate="true" />
                <add input="{REQUEST_FILENAME}" matchType="IsFile" negate="true" />
             </conditions>
             <action type="Rewrite" url="index.php/{R:0}" />
          </rule>
       </rules>
    </rewrite>

Setting Garden.RewriteUrls setting in config.php to true still works for now, but I bet they will switch to using only the X_REWRITE environment variable to enable URL rewrites in the future. What I do is put the site that's running Vanilla in IIS in its own application pool.

You can set an environment variable specifically to an app pool by going to the IIS root -> Configuration Editor -> enter section "system.applicationHost/applicationPools" and open (Collections) -> click on your app pool to see its properties -> click environmentVariables -> add a variable named X_REWRITE with value of 1.

A quicker way to do is set it via this command in the command prompt or PowerShell (change MyVanillaAppPool to your app pool's name):

appcmd.axe set config -section:system.applicationHost/applicationPools /+"[name='MyVanillaAppPool'].environmentVariables.[name='X_REWRITE',value='1']" /commit:apphost

Edit: replace appcmd.axe (axe part with e instead of a) (for some reason the Cloudflare settings here prevents me from typing it out).

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited March 2019

I also see the bug with the discussions link being outputted as "https://discussions", but only in the sidebar menu (DiscussionFilter module). The links seems fine in the header menu and in other places. Is it just happening in the sidebar for you too? I investigated the issue and filed a bug report on GitHub here: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/8551

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Hi Shadowdare,

Apologies I thought I had notifications on for comments on my discussions, but I didn't. Yes, this is only in the sidebar for me.

I've just checked the bug report has been closed 17 days ago as it's gone stale :( Did you get anywhere on this?

I've since upgraded to 3.2 and still face the same issue.

Cheers.