Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Looking for assistance with a new 2.8.1 installation

This discussion was created from comments split from: Vanilla 2.8.1 is now available - Security Patches & Bug Fixes.

Comments

• edited March 2019

I'm just getting started with Vanilla. I'm going to replace some old message board software on my website, since it no longer works with PHP on our new server. My site is http://www.hotboots.com.

My problem is: How do I get the program started? I loaded it onto my site in public.html and tried going to /vanilla-core-2-B and got "404 File Not Found. The same thing with /index.php added. I moved it to the main directory and got the same results. So what I need to know is where should the program be loaded on my site and what do I type in the URL after my site name to get Vanilla started? Thank you!

• edited March 2019

A bit of progress. I downloaded the new 2.8.1 and tried that and actually got a response! It opened "Vanilla 2.8.1 Installer"! Now I have no idea what information I need to enter into "Database Host", "Database Name", "Database User" and "Database Password" for it to work. I tried the host name and password of my site (like I use for SFTP) but no luck. I got this as a response: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known.

Larry

• @LarryKenney, welcome to the community and thank you for trying Vanilla! Please have a look at the "Self Hosting Basics" page on our documentation site for an overview of how to get Vanilla up and running. There, you'll see a list of minimum requirements for your server. Those database fields are for connecting to your MySQL database. Are you managing your own hosting or using a shared/managed hosting plan from a provider? They should be able to help guide you on how to create a MySQL database and database user on their hosting platform.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• edited March 2019

@Shadowdare and other Vanilla users --- Vanilla 2.8.1 is now on line at https://hotboots.com/bol/ and it's working great! It took a little work and a lot of input help from Hurricane Electric, our service provider, to get things set up properly, but once I got it going it's been working fine, surprising the Trustees and users by all the nice features.

Is there a Vanilla User Guide available anywhere that I could "steal" and post on the site to help introduce all of the various features of Vanilla to the users?

Thanks for a beautiful piece of software!

Larry Kenney

San Francisco