HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Welcome to the new OSS theme!

charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS)Montreal Vanilla Staff

Over the past few weeks I've been working on this new theme. I solicited the community's feedback, and am finally deploying it today.

It's based off of 2.8's new default theme keystone.

Feedback

I originally asked for feedback over at

Even though theme is deployed improvements can still be made. Feel free to leave suggestions.

I want to make a similar theme!

If you're looking to make a similar Vanilla theme, our @vanillaforums/theme-boilerplate package is the perfect place to get started. It starts you off with some good defaults and a large variable sheet to start modifying. It also makes it easy to add extra custom CSS on top and bundle it all together using our build tool.

See our documentation for details.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Well done! It's looking gorgeous and I can't wait to see the first themes designed based on the boilerplate 😃

If you are looking at the Activity from mobile, the delete symbol could have more margin to the right side:

The pager prev/next buttons don't have any space between them. Not sure if that really should be changed.

What feels awkward is the scroll behaviour of the Inbox flyout: that list is longer than my screen height and it begains to scroll down only when I reach the end of the page that I'm on. Hard to describe, sorry...

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Great work. I probably should have mentioned it on the testing thread, but for new users in this forum it may be a convenience as well as point of reference to have a menu link to the Vanilla Github.  

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@rbrahmson Great point! I'll add it in my next revision.

@R_J These are more issues in theme-boilerplate than here. I'm adding them to my backlog of issues to file (there's quite a few alignment issues there). If you'd like to see any of those filed sooner, I'd encourage you to file them them on the core repo. If you don't I'll still file them, but I've got ~10 other issues to file first.

• I really like the layout of this , it's clear and readable. I will be hijacking the principles behind it to create something similar. Well done @charrondev , nice job!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Here are two more observations: although the search button next to the pager is fancy, at least that button beside the top pager doesn't make much sense because of the search box in the panel. If thie would be an either/or question, I would keep the panel search because the panel is sticky.

There is also a search button next to the bottom pager. It has added value but I would nevertheless drop it for consistency. With the sticky panel the search box isn't too far away. In the end I also find it more consistent to have place in the UI for one functionality.

The emoji popup should be a little bit wider to show all emojis completly and make that horizontal scroll bar go away

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭

Good job @charrondev

Just a feedback. When i go to https://open.vanillaforums.com/categories , i have all the categories in bold even if all discussions are viewed. Is-it possible to change the background in gray to see if a categorie has no post to read?

Is-it possible too to make a "all viewed" button if we don't want to read unread discussions?

Thank you.

@pioc34

Just a feedback. When i go to https://open.vanillaforums.com/categories , i have all the categories in bold even if all discussions are viewed. Is-it possible to change the background in gray to see if a categorie has no post to read?

I feel greater differentiation between read/unread is definitely an issue with keystone based themes at the moment. I'll be taking that into consideration.

@pioc34

Is-it possible too to make a "all viewed" button if we don't want to read unread discussions?

Do you mean like the "Mark Read" dropdown item on the category?

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭

ouch sorry i don't see Mark Read. Thank you!

• KasparKaspar Moderator

The new theme has a slightly longer load time.

Perhaps that is related to what I experience.

When going back to Recent (from within a discussion), then selecting the next discussion to read (before the page finished loading) results in the previous discussion being selected again.

If I wait for the page to load it does not happen.

It did not happen with the old theme.

It does not happen on my own forum(other theme than Keystone).

Could that be fixed?

I find it rather anoying and gather that others do aswell.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

I have just tested on a 2.8.1 install with Keystone, Bootstrap and Bittersweet.

Increased load time in all cases but cannot replicate the "previous discussion reselected when selecting another while page load is not finished issue".

Instead it either does not register the next discussion I click or starts loading it when the other is done.

So as I see it/understand it - it is the vanilla oss theme.

(But also a general increase in load time in 2.8.1 - so maybe a combination of something)

Hope the description it makes sense.

• For those of us who are not Time Lords, and therefore do not care much about things like backward compatibility, is there a way that the new boilerplate CSS can utterly replace the styles.css?

@donshakespeare it’s pretty tough to untangle the two. We actually have a new theming system being worked on at the moment though and the theme made with that will drop style.css.

It’s really hard to work around.

You can expect a new base theme near the end of the year that will drop it. We already will never be touching style.css again (bootstrap 3 made that impossible by ignoring it)

• Okay, that's good news ... thanks!

• @charrondev noticed the credit link inside of the theme is broken, might just be my own install, but might be worth testing. Directs me towards..

https://vanillaforums.com%2C%20http//vanillaforums.com

One other question, my logo uploaded to theme options is reasonably big. But when viewing on a normal desktop browser, its very small. Any plans to allow for logo adjustment controls or auto-size css rules so it's more readable?

• It’s really amazing theme readable and aptly useful