Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Strange Behaviour after in-situ upgrade to 2.8.1 from 2.6.4

This is really strange and it's confusing the heck out of me. I have a forum running 2.6.4 and created a test-bed forum for 2.8.1 to check it out.

I updated that forum in the time-honoured fashion but now when I try to upload an image I get "This file failed to upload" and in the error logs I see a 401 issue.

However if I use an Admin user the file upload works just fine .....

The test forum is an exact copy of the live forum running the same versions of Apache , PHP 7.2.16 etc. with all the file permissions exactly the same.

I can't for the life of me see where this is falling over and why the 401 is being generated - any ideas as to where I should look next?

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

As a check, I would make a separate, clean install of Vanilla 2.8.1, create a member, and see if the issue persists.

If it doesn't, then I would point the clean install to the copy of your live DB, and see if uploads work.

You could also try pointing your test site to the new DB.

If uploads work then, you could be pretty sure it was a problem with your 'live' DB. If it doesn't, you are probably looking at a theme or addon issue.

Then I'd try exporting the permissions table from the new install, then dropping and importing the permssions into the copy of your live DB, and seeing if that clears it. You might do the same with the GDN_UserRole table if necessary.

As always, make a backup of any DB you are going to work on, and make sure you aren't accidentally working on the live DB. (I did that once; it wasn't fun ...)

• Options

Thanks @whu606 , a good check list to work through there