HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Showing comments only to discussion starter?

I edited 'Q&A' plugin, and now I want answers to show only to author. What do you think about solutions for this?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

In the end this would require per-user-rights, but Vanilla is based on a role level. I suspect this would be very, very difficult to implement because comments are shown on several places (e.g. on search results, in profile pages, etc) and even some plugins refer to that.

You can try to go the other way around and restrict all user in a category from viewing comments altogether and only allow discussion authors to see comments, but that wouldn't be smooth, either.

Also, from a user perspective, I wouldn't like to answer questions that might already have a thousand better answers. The use case would be if you want to create some kind of bidding platform.

• TheWallTheWall New
    edited April 2019

I want to use that plugin as shop. Question=Sell, edited to enter photo, about and price. Now I need to finalize orders, and this would be the easiest way to avoid payment getaways, with simple bot use. I see this is not possible, if you have any idea how to do this, tell me. One part is shop, and one part will be btc exchange forum based, without fee and open source. Too many exchanges that need all details, ID etc.. high fee. I want to build forum to exchange all crypto peer to peer (something as localbitcoins) but I want to do this with vanilla. There are easier ways to do this, but I want it to be forum with exchange, not exchange with forum.

I am new to this, and I know something about php, but I am bad in javascript. I still learn how vanilla works, how to import "buy now" form... but for now, I don't get it at all :) I created forum in php from scratch step by step, but when it comes to make plugin for vfanilla, not working. I can only edit plugins, when I write code, something is always wrong.

• TheWallTheWall New
    edited April 2019

@R_J if you get a time, can you take a look at this plugin? Not working, I want to edit it for questions, not discussions. What do you think? It's old so must rename, but is that possible, what do you think about it?

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/noiseless-plugin

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Never tried it but seems a better place to start

• Yea but I want to code myself so I can learn in same way, also I want it to be something different. That's why I edited QnA plugin and vanilla bot into one plugin. It works easy, and make multi-sig bitcoin transaction in easy way. Anyway, I will try this to see what I can do, thanks!

• Also not working, not show at dashboard at all for me.

The noiseless plugin is just for convenience, it doesn't implement any security layers. All comments are still available for anyone, they are just not shown in the discussion by default.

If you create something new that might be the right approach but normally it is better to enhance existing code. If not really needed I wouldn't touch the QnA plugin but trying to enhance it with your plugin.

If you want to create something by yourself and really want to have a private conversation between two members, why not make it a private conversation?

If you add $Configuration['Conversations']['Subjects']['Visible'] = true; to your conf/config.php, your conversations can have a subject. If you add a button to a discussion with a dynamic link like that:

forum.com/messages/add/discussion-author-name?subject=insert-discussion-title-here

you can let the reader of a discussion directly contact the discussion author. You can further enhance this by adding &discussionid=123 to the link and automagically quote the discussion text in the body of the new conversation. That way discussion authors can communicate directly with other users.

What you are planning to do seems to have to do with highly sensible data. Take extra care that you do not expose any security wholes by combining code from somewhere and not fully understanding the consequences. Otherwise you are doomed to fail because your forum users will not trust you.

I would advice you to open source your plugins and debate implementation options here in the forum so that you do not miss important aspects

• TheWallTheWall New
    edited April 2019

That's not problem because my best friend is very experienced programmer, and he will work on it. I will take care about service and users, and his part is coding. He will start to work on it in about 30 days, and I want to start working on it before because I want to learn. My job is Graphic design, I am pretty good in both raster and vector graphic. I have knowledge about html/css, so I decided to continue with php and java.