Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Search function in Vanilla 2.8

My users have informed me that there are a couple of bugs in the search function. Since I never tried or used the search prior to the upgrade, I can't tell for sure whether these are 100% accurate, but I thought I'd pass these on anyway. (Long-time trusted users have confirmed these flaws.)

For once, some search terms yield no results. For example searching for "third" yields no results, however the term "fourth" works properly. Both words exist on the forum. This is something that I can confirm, however, I'm not sure if it already was an issue in Vanilla 2.6.

The second bug has something to do with highlighting of the search terms. Highlighting in the posts' body seems to work (if the preview displays correctly), however, it doesnt if the search term occurs in the title.

The third bug is, sometimes, instead of a post preview, it shows the error message "There was an error rendering this rich post." instead. Actually this seems to be happening most of the time. This is how it is looking:

Tagged:

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Vanilla relies on the default MySQL fulltext search. You can read more on that here: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/fulltext-stopwords.html

"third" in fact is a stop word while "fourth" is not.

That the found word in the title isn't highlighted is an obvious bug.

The last point has been reported on GitHub, but that description needs some more facts. From what I can tell, that problem comes up for every post which has been made with the Rich Editor. Since it cannot be recreated on this site, it might be already fixed and this fix would be included in the next result.