Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Double line breaks

Hi.

Any solution yet? I notice it's the same on here. Enter = new paragraph instead of the expected <br>.

Thanks.

Comments

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test.

Test

Test

Test

I see what you mean but would expect that to be intended.

Writing from mobile.

Not at pc so cannot test but would expect shift+enter or ctrl+enter would/should give a br line break(it does on facebook which the Rich Editor seems very similar to, atleast in the business model of it in desktop mode).

• I haven't found a way to make <br> happen, shift/etc does nothing.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I've already mentioned that as a UX failure but I think this is considered a feature, not a bug 😫

The editor should resemble "modern" editors like you can find e.g. on medium, trading ease of control against control.

I don't like that editor, but things are getting better: at least formatting shortcuts like they are known from markdown are on the way, which I think is a huge improvement!

• wjcroftwjcroft William J. Croft / Mount Shasta, CA / OpenBCI forum admin New

I don't understand this line break UX decision. And agree with @R_J

(1) We have 4+ years of Vanilla Forum with a previous version (2.1.8p2), and are preparing to upgrade to the latest version on a test server. Running the old database with the latest version double spaces all our old content. Makes it screamingly terrible to read, especially text blocks that were pasted into posts. Is there a plugin or other way that our old content can be uncorrupted?

(2) The new default text entry editor is 'ok', but there is no way to override with shift return or other means? Is switching the paragraph to Quote / Code Block the only current solution? This is not very friendly.

Please, there must be some way to override this behavior with manual vanilla code PHP changes or a plugin?

Regards, William Croft, OpenBCI Forum

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@wjcroft The old content will not be converted, so there is no need to be afraid that your data will explode. Besides of that, databases are made to handle much content. You can upgrade, go to the plugins section, disable Rich Editor, enable Advanced Editor and check if the mobile formatter is set to something different than "Rich" (it hopefully will be)

The Rich Editor is using Quill, which seemingly doesn't offer a config value for switching between paragraphs and line breaks, therefore I don't think that this annoying behaviour can easily be changed.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

It would take a lot of work, and it's not in our immediate priorities.

The current order of Rich Editor priorities is:

• Fix editor integration with various plugins - Implemented in 3.0
    • Add markdown keyboard macros - Initial implementation in 3.0 (try it on this forum)
    • Improve Rich Editor posts in Moderation/Spam Queue/Changelog rendering and layout - planned
    • Improve the link toolbar (currently hard to update a link or crosslink to headings in the same doc). - planned
    • Finalizing the Rich Embed API and publishing documentation for it - in progress
    • Making embeds configurable in the dashboard.
    • Unifying the new and old formatting pipelines (share embeds systems, link processing, and trusted domains) - in planning