HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla running on FastComet.com or SiteGround.com hosting

Not sure if I'm in the place, I'm new to Vanilla and getting ready to start my site. I was wondering if anyone is hosting on either FastComet.com or SiteGround.com. They both seem to meet the recommended requirements for Vanilla Open Source and they both seem to be able to grow with the site. I have never hear of them and was looking for any feedback the Community might have to offer a newbie!! Thanks for any advise in advance.

Comments

• I'm curious about the same! I'm using siteground and they seem to have an easy install for Vanilla but I'd love to see what this experience is like for others, if someone else has done this.

Are the updates automatic?

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Both have Softaculous.

My hosting(neither of the above so cannot comment on them) have Softaculous aswell.

During installation/setup of Vanilla Forums with Softaculous you can opt-in to have it do automatic updates or to do youself.

Have not seen anything showing that either actually have Vannilla Forums in their Softaculous package though.

• Exactly, installation is the same for either. Actually I'm running a forum with vf 2.8.3 on an European server of fastcomet.com and I haven't had any sort of problem yet

• x00x00 MVP
    edited May 2019

I no-index discussion like this while they may be genuine, they are an open invitation to spammers, who use similar posts, and they are attracted to discussion like this.

grep is your friend.

• About SiteGround

My first ownwership experience with Vanilla Forums was at Siteground. They have acceptable performance, nice tools and cheap subscription for the first year (contract term).

Three months before ending the first term of hosting subscription I checked for renewal prices and they were outrageous with no negotiation whatsoever. I had to search for a new hosting service and migrate my forum. I sent them a notice, informing about my decision of ending the subscription and, later, two weeks before the end of the contract term, they started to offer discounts (20% to 30%). By them it was too late. I currently have my service hosted at MochaHost that uses (also) softaculous .

regards,

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

I will note that I'm working this year for us to have our own official installation script, but it will not work on shared hosting and will be docker based.

In addition to the installation script, a 1 click installer for Digital Ocean is planned along side it.

The main issue that complicates things is also making updates just as easy. It's no good to have bunch of people install your software, but get stuck on an old insecure version.