HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

A little re-arrangement

charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS)Montreal Vanilla Staff
edited July 2019 in General Banter

I've re-arranged the community a little bit. If you guys have any feedback I'm open to tweak things further. Here's what I've done.

• Switched category layout to "Modern".
  • Made category layout the homepage view.
  • Added heading categories.

Let me know what you think

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I always found recent discussions to be the best approach to a forum you know and the categories to a forum you do not know. Therefore I'd prefer to see /discussions as homepage here 😉

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2019

Yeah, I can definitely see the reasoning there. I'm quite familiar with the community and think the /discussions page is the best place for me as well.

I was trying to consider the community from the perspective of new people/guests though. Guests tend to outnumber signed in users here by ~10/1 in the analytics. I was thinking it might be easier to get into the forum with it flipped the other way.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

From a moderation pov discussions is far preferable as a default, since I go through new discussions/comments, so if it were possible to set personal preferences, that would be handy.

Sounds like a good idea! I'll see if I can get that running, and if not, I'll make a new version for selecting it. It probably wouldn't be more than 20-30 lines of code.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

@charrondev could changing style be a thing aswell? Keystone have dark variations and there are add-ons for user selected styles - so alot of what is required is available at hand already.

wink wink blink blink pretty pretty please 😇🤗🤩

Reading in the evening on the current white style is a PITE (E = eyes)

That sounds like to would be a good addition! I probably won’t have time for a few weeks, but once the addon is merged to our addons repo I think it would be good idea, especially if anyone from here wants to help me out with maintaining it.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@charrondev: I do not prefer the category view. Actually it was the discussions view upfront that raised my interest when I first saw Vanilla (more than 10 years ago). I think that‘s one of Vanilla‘s absolute USPs ever since that shouldn‘t be hidden. Especially community builders creating a new community know how important it is to signalise activity to get new users.

Interestingly the changes you said are not in effect on my computers - logged in or not. 🧐 Maybe I am missing something. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

I've actually rolled back the change until my user select plugin has been deployed and rolled out. I'll probably make a couple other changes too (like a dismissable prompt when the user is on the other possible homepage).

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I see, thank you.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I like Discussions layout as hompage.

• MrCaspanMrCaspan
    edited July 2021

@Caylus thanks for taking the time to allow users to make the choice by creating the plugin. I am really happy to see the capability to choose the dark theme as I hate getting blinded by white sites when scrolling at night! It would be really nice to land on the show me everything since last visit. I'm an inbox zero guy so in my forum its nice to just see what's happened since you were last there and just read through each one and treat the home page like an inbox. just my 2 cents

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Can't you just goto the forum via https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussions/unread

still crossing my fingers for a dark theme option here.

• @Kaspar that's great for only me but do you want to explain that to all my users to make sure they bookmark that page.. It's just user preference hence options to set it :)

• KasparKaspar Moderator

Ah, it was 'you general' not 'you you' in your post :-)